Sunday, November 11, 2018

What's Your Foundation Built On?






There is nothing I love more than being at the beach.  It's my favorite place... it's where I'd love to live... it's where I hope to retire one day... but I'm already worried about where I will live.  Sure, I'd love to live oceanfront with a big screened-in porch, rocking chairs, huge sofas for relaxing, and possibly a porch swing, but I also know that the weather is not your friend when you have an oceanfront house.  I'd rather be safe than sorry... I have thought a lot about what structure would be best... most affordable... suitable.  I change my mind a lot... but without a doubt, I know that I don't want my house built of sand.  I mean how many sand castles did I build as a child to find them swept away as soon as the tide came!  

Stability is something we all need and want.  Jesus talks about this in Matthew 7:24-29.

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”
28 When Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were amazed at his teaching, 29 because he taught as one who had authority, and not as their teachers of the law.

 From what I've read, I believe that Jesus was most likely born in a cave... a rock possibly hollowed out... so when I read the story of the wise and foolish builders, I can't help but think that because there was no room in the inn... the best place for Jesus to enter this world was on a strong foundation.  I think God chose that place for many reasons... Nothing about the Christmas story is elegant or fancy... neither is where Jesus was born!  We can all agree that a cave would be pretty safe and stable though!  My nativity scene isn't the traditional one made of wood... it looks like rock, stone, or the "Aztec" theme.  When I look at it, I think about what people see when they look at my own house.  The house, the foundation, the structure of my every day life... sand or stone?

The structure I live in is strong, but is the foundation that I'm giving my children and family truly strong.  Am I giving them a "stable" living environment.  Later in the week I'll talk more about that, but today I want to ask a few questions... Do you know the Bible?  Do you know His words?  Are you putting them into practice?  When... not if... storms arise in your life, are you weathering the storm or are you falling apart?  

That last question hits home for me... when Daddy died, I made a BIG decision not to sit in self-pity and make my children miserable and worried about their mama.  I wanted to show them that death is not final, death is not the worst thing in the world, and death wasn't going to define me and make me a horrible person full of anger and hate because Daddy wasn't here anymore.  I wanted them to see that life goes on... and death is a part of life!  We celebrate Easter... the death of Christ... sure those three days were sad in between the death and resurrection, but we wouldn't have the resurrection without the death... we have to have bad sometimes to enjoy the good!  

I've been lucky in my life, I really haven't had many things go terribly wrong considering what some other people have been through in their lives.  I've been hurt by friends, I've been disappointed by decisions my children made, I've been upset about situations at work, I've been attacked personally... the list goes on and on.... but when I look at others who are dealing with health, divorce, deceit, neglect, addiction...  my life really isn't that bad.  Through each of the trials I've been through in my life, I've tried my best to weather the storm.  I always comment at work when things get crazy that "The old redneck Britt would have done this... but the new Britt is going to sit back and settle because I know it's in God's hands"... 

Where are you today?  If a storm comes up in your life, are you going to wash away with the winds and rain... or are you going to stand strong in your faith until the storm stops?  It's YOUR choice.  You get to make that choice EVERY DAY.  Be like the stable that Jesus was born in... be Strong... prepare your home for Christmas this year by being settled on a strong foundation!  It may be a holiday you are dreading... don't dread it though... God's word tells us that we are to put into practice His words.  I can't find anywhere in the Bible that tells me to sit and sulk and be miserable.  I do find verses of hope and comfort during storms and trials in my life though!  

So today... work on the structure of your house!  Figuratively, ask yourself if you are "stable"... if you lean on His word you can be!  Some of you may ask, "How, Britt?  How can I become more stable?"  I don't have all the answers, but I do know that there is no other comfort to me than sitting down with Jesus every morning before I start my day and having a cup of coffee with Him.  I write down my prayer requests, pray for those I love and YES I pray for those who disappoint me and hurt me!  I have some Bible apps on my phone to help guide me through devotionals... and at the suggestion of a friend, I am constantly reading my way through the Bible.  I'm learning so many things daily!   If you can just start with spending time with Him each day... your foundation will become stronger and stronger... and you will have a STABLE life!  Let me know if you have a specific prayer request... I'd love to add you to my list!  

No comments: