Sunday, November 11, 2018

What do you need to be stable?

At any moment your life can change... a doctor's visit, a call from a family member, a freak accident, anything... things like this cause me to panic for a brief second... or longer... I've gotten much better, but if I didn't have some tools in my box I would never be able to survive some days.

One of my favorite stories from the Bible is David and Goliath.  I encourage you take a few minutes today and read I Samuel 17.  As you read, write down the story and what happened... I love to do a timeline and see how God's hand was at work with every part of His stories.  Once I started doing that, I realize that He is at work in my life too... and yours!

The part of David and Goliath I want to focus on today is I Samuel 17:49.  There are many fascinating parts to this story... David even being chosen is remarkable to me... but this verse...

Reaching into his bag and taking out a stone, he slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead. The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell facedown on the ground.

This verse gets me through some situations that I don't think are possible.  

David had a big problem... a HUGE problem... a giant to fight.  What are you fighting today?  It's something... something is bothering you... something is making you anxious... something is making you nervous.  Allow yourself to be in David's shoes (sandals) for a moment.  

"Reaching into his bag".... Where do you go for trouble in your life?  Do you post it on Facebook and ask for advice, do you burden family members with rambling, do you keep it inside and let it eat at you like cancer?  Where do you reach?  

"Taking out a stone"... David knew where he needed to reach for safety... his bag... he also knew that God was on his side... Do you have confidence that God is on your side?  Do you reach in the right places for a weapon?  Do you grab the right things to "fight" with?  

"He slung it and struck the Philistine on the forehead".... When you find yourself in a situation, do you know how to strike back?  Not in a hateful way, but do you know what to do when and what to use to arm yourself with the right weapon?  

And here's my favorite part... "The stone sank into his forehead, and he fell FACEDOWN on the ground".... OH MY!  David knew where to hit this giant... and when you think about it... if you stand in front of someone and hit them in the head... they most likely will fall backwards.... but not this big giant!  He fell facedown.... that problem of David's was done!  FACEDOWN.  

I have a lot of things in my purse... my children think the kitchen sink is in there, but I don't have a stone...or a slingshot... when I reach to fight back at my demons, I reach to the BIBLE.... that's the best place.  Any problem you are having today... or facing in the future... an answer can be found in the Bible.  YES... there's your answer for stability.... use your Bible as your weapon.  Learn some verses to fight back with... google your problem and ask for verses.... it's there!  

This morning I pray that each of you who read this... reach into your Bible and know in your heart that God will take care of your giant.  Ask him, pray to him, and have faith that He can do it!  



Prepare  your "stable" for Him by making a strong foundation in your heart!  Use the Bible as your tool and you can't be destroyed!  
 

No comments: