Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Can you believe that....

Can you believe that evil, wicked stepmother,  stepfather?

Jesus had an earthly father... Joseph.  Joseph knew that he wasn't the biological father, yet he gives the perfect example for men even today... he loved Jesus and did for him like he was his own child.  I find it hard to believe that Jesus or anyone around Joseph said, "Can you believe that wicked stepfather?"

There have been many people I've met in my life who have had step-fathers who have been better to them than their own fathers.  Isn't that the best!  As I look at Joseph, I think of man who took in a child that wasn't his own and loved him like he was.  How does someone do that?  How do you love a child like he is yours when you have other children who are yours?  I think God makes our hearts grow bigger as more and more people come into our lives.

I've shared before that my biggest worry during my pregnancy was how I could love someone as much as I loved KB.  It only took seconds to look at him and realize that I loved him just as much.  I think that is what God does with stepparents.  He gives us that example at the Nativity Scene.  I believe with all my heart that God does this for us to see how we are to treat children who aren't biologically ours.... I also believe this runs into how we treat our families.

The wicked stepmother sometimes turns into the evil mother-in-law that we have to deal with... As we marry into a family, we have a choice... we can either accept the family and try for harmony... or we can reject the family and cause even more chaos.  In the grand scheme of things, I hope that I can be a role model to my own children on how to treat in-laws.  I hope they see how I treat my mama and my mother-in-law and they may just treat me the same way.  Let's be honest... no one agrees 100% with what anyone thinks... if you do, you really aren't thinking for yourself.  We should be respectful of others and their thoughts and remember it isn't our place to be in control... God is in control!  We can live in peace if we just breathe and know that things are going to be okay.  Arguments are between two people... if you refuse to argue... then no argument can occur.

As you spend the holidays preparing to spend them with extended family, step-children, step-parents, brothers, sisters, in-laws.... the list goes on.... just smile and know that during this short season...it isn't about you... focus on treating someone a little nicer who may be irritating to you... focus on smiling when you don't really want to smile... focus on when you do get to eat instead of how late people are to the dinner...

I think that God gives us Joseph at the Nativity Scene for many reasons, but I believe that he uses Joseph to show us to love all members of our family... no matter the situation or circumstance.  Joseph accepted Jesus as his own... We have to accept family members as our own when we vow to marry... don't be the person who everyone hates to see coming... don't be the person that everyone tip toes around... don't be the person who is "too much".... be quiet this year... be reverent... be focused on others instead of yourself...

Joseph loved Jesus... Joseph loved Mary... Joseph loved God... he did the right thing and I'm sure if Jesus was asked who his father was he would proudly say Joseph and God.  If you are a step-parent... I can't think of  a better compliment that being called Mama or Daddy by the children... it isn't the child's fault the parents divorced.... be the connecting factor that brings the family together... don't be the reason the family separates.

Thank you Lord for sending Joseph... to show me how to love family who isn't blood kin... thanks for the reminder that on the night of Jesus's birth... you thought enough about each character in the story to still teach us lessons even in 2018.  Thank you for the role model of Joseph.  I believe that he was a peacemaker, and my prayer is more people would be like him.

No comments: