Friday, September 19, 2014

What Bothers Me Most....

I'm two days late on the words to this post, but it's okay... timing is everything.... I sit here this Saturday morning for the first time in about two years with nothing but work hanging over my head.... I can always do that, but I'm beyond excited that I don't have graduate work or any pressing agendas to get ready... I can clean my house today and get ready for a day of watching football. 

I'm really proud of ESPN this morning... what a refreshing breath of air to hear all announcers supporting the suspension of "that quarterback from FSU".... What I'm about to type has nothing at all to do with the team that this young boy is on... it has to do with character... and the character that I want for my children to have....

I'm sure this young man and the other five who have been recognized just this week in the NFL grew up just like the little boy who Mark and I are responsible for... they dreamed of playing football and making it big.... One of them even won the Heisman... I mean... that is a dream that will only come true for a few...

I'm not sure of when and where, but I remember Daddy saying that everyone makes a mistake and it's okay.... I agree with that 100%.  We are all entitled to make a mistake and most importantly, learn from that mistake... and here comes the "but".... it's what we learn from that mistake that really matters. 

So I pose the question... do these young men who have been accused, and some found guilty of abusing women, truly believe they have learned from their mistakes.  I think not seeing that many of them are repeated offenders.  In that case, I think that someone else has to step in and make decisions based on the poor decisions of them.  I'm by no means a liberal, but I do believe that given an opportunity and guidance... people can make changes and become better.  But how many chances are enough?  I know God gives us unlimited chances, but how many young girls and women have to be harmed and insulted by these men before someone says / does something? 

What bothers me most in all this?  I have a teenage daughter who in four years will be sitting in a college cafeteria and will she have to be subjected to behavior like this?  When will it stop?  Who will diminish behaviors like this?  For athletes, I think it is the coaches' responsibility.  No, we can't tell them how to make every, single move in their lives, but we can let them know that these unacceptable behaviors will not be tolerated.  Where are the morals and values for these young men? It's a hard decision, but sometimes learning that winning isn't everything is much better than allowing "thugs" to play!  I also have a little boy who sits in front of the television on Saturdays and Sundays and watches these men and mimics everything they do.... on the field... he wants to dress like them with tape wrap, towels, headbands.... everything.... and how do I break his spirit and tell them that they are scum at the bottom of the ocean for treating women like they do?  In my opinion, these men should be banned from playing.  And if Ben ever does anything like this... he shouldn't be in a position to be a role model... ban him too!

So how do we fix this?   It's simple.... we find role models for our children who set good examples and rely on God for judgment and acceptance.... Immaturity by a player isn't an acceptable answer to me and that "he will mature in time"... I want Ben to admire the characters of players and not just their athletic abilities... I want KB to admire the character of a young man.

I have seen a new light over the past few weeks, and I'm thrilled that people in authority are making examples of these repeated offenders.  Whether FSU wins or loses tonight... I'm glad they decided to step in and make this young man think about his actions and focus on the fact that just because you are "special" doesn't mean that you can do whatever you want to do and get away with it!

And now....
Waiting on the boys to run through! 

Matthew and Javon serving as team captains. 

It was another hot one! 

Being gentlemen... wish some of the fans for the other team had some manners to follow these players. 

I love watching them pray... I also think it is neat that the "chain gang" man joined them in this prayer.  Thank goodness this hasn't been taken away from the game. 
I can't really put into words what I want to say about this picture... but she makes my heart smile. 

She loves to pose.... I have taught her to always try to smile in a picture... you never know when it will come back to haunt you! 
Looking like Minnie Mouse
I sure do hope these two are dreaming about being one of those boys on field who are showing character! 
Baby Thom
I feel sure Hugh is telling Mutt what he needs to be doing....
I have such good friends who make Diet Cokes with my name on them...
Jack's action shots...

Jaccccckkkkkk

Notice those players from the other team right with our girls.... I'm not sure what genius decided to block off one side of the stadium and all fans had to be on one side... but I'm thinking it wasn't the smartest thing to do...
Christopher... I'm sure he was thinking that he wanted his Uncle Wade to be here! 










James told me the other night he likes to be on my blog.... I love to for people to tell me they enjoy reading my ramblings... James just likes to look at the pictures... so this one is for you! 














And we spotted Brooke... she has lots more ties to Lincolnton than Thomson...
















Guille decided to sit all by himself... at the very top....


Coach Barnett rocking the ponytail, bun.... I'm not sure about that hairdo....
























Thom's action shots


























The boy lined up against Jack pushed him for no reason after this play....
And she saw that....




















































But she missed this next series of pictures... Jack recovered a fumble....







She missed it....
















And that's a wrap.... we lost 6-14... but our boys played hard! 

Let's hope all these boys remember that winning doesn't happen because of one person...it happens because of a team.... the cliche that "there is no I in team".... has never been more true! 


No comments: