Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Thank You for Being Who You Are!

     Many moons ago I sat at an 8th grade promotion ceremony for the students I taught in middle school.  I had a little baby at home that I sat and dreamed would one day be walking across that gym floor and being recognized for making the same accomplishment.  Well... part of my dreams came true last night. 
     I didn't cry, I didn't smile much.... I didn't really have any emotions at all.... I was afraid I would crack.  So many times in the recent years, I have found out that if I pray and dream and wish long enough... and with a little hard work... good things can happen.  This story isn't so much about KB as it is about another little girl who made a big impression on my heart. 
     When I was first hired in Woodruff, I met a nice lady ~ I'll call her my principal~ and her three children... they were each different in their own way, but the middle one... she was so special to me.  I never taught her in my classroom, but I coached her.  Cheering really wasn't her thing, but she did it because the crowd did it... Her thing was dance.... she bloomed when she was dancing... the look in her eyes could show where her heart was. 
     Her 8th grade year, KB was just a baby, I remember exactly where I was sitting when she received the highest award given for the school... She was named with the Citzenship Award.... It brought tears to my eyes because I longed for my own little girl to one day be recognized by adults for having a sweet spirit, a kind heart, and geniune care for others.  I can remember whispers of her getting the award "because her mama was the principal", but I promise... she deserved it... administrators' children go through a lot they don't deserve... we are finding that out!  She warmed my heart that day... and made me set goals for my own children where I try to remind them to be nice, be kind, and be smart... people are always watching you!  I prayed for my children to be seen as this sweet girl was to others. 
     As she went to high school, she gave up cheering for dance.... and she survived!  She let me come with her to pick out her pageant dress... which I hear is what made her husband fall in love with her... she came to my house for me to practice doing her makeup... and she always loved on KB when she would come to see her at the school.  "Daranda" went on to bigger and better things.... but I haven't stopped praying for KB to fall in her footsteps... She went on to Clemson to be part of the dance team... and also graduated with a degree in Nursing.... I couldn't ask for a better role model for KB to have! 
     Yes, I'm proud of KB for the long list of awards she received, but life goes on and we must set new goals... I can only hope that she will strive to be like Miranda.... I am so glad God placed her in my life for me to "dream" that KB could be like her!  KB~ I'm proud of you... keep up the hard work and keep dreaming as big as you want... I will always be your biggest supporter! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Britt and KB,
I was so touched to read this today. "Daranda" has always made me proud, just as you are doing for your momma, Katie Britt. I am glad I read it in private, though, for I DID crack, as Britt calls it, and couldn't stop the sweet tears that proud mommas get to experience:)
Love you both,
Daranda's Momma