Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cole Baby

    The night I got engaged I ran across the football field to tell Daddy and Jim the news.... when Daddy turned around he told me that he didn't think the news could get any better because he had just found out that you were on the way.... I knew you would be special before you even got here.  We planned my entire wedding around your arrival.... And boy did it take a long time for you to get here...You were born exactly one month before my wedding day and I loved on you as much as your mama and daddy would let me before I moved away.  I can remember about a week before the wedding you were fussy and your mama had a really bad headache... I begged her to let you spend the night with me so she could get some rest... You slept by me the entire night and I patted that precious little butt of yours every time you moved...
     I would come to get you every weekend I was home and let you do whatever you wanted... we took you everywhere!  I was there for your first Christmas, your first birthday, and your first "almost trip" to the emergency room when we were at the beach.  I have held you in my arms and rocked you, changed your diaper, bought you "smocked" outfits, fussed at you, fussed with you, hid your pi-pis from you, spanked you, watched you grow... and now as I sit.... I wonder if I have done enough to really send you out into the world. 
     You are special... you are the first grandchild and there is nothing like that... we all know you are the favorite... we all know you are sweetest... and we all know that you are our "trial and error" child... we see how you do...and we either mimick it or not go that route.... I can't believe that tomorrow night you will be graduating from high school... my goodness... It's like you were just born! 
     You make our vacations fun, you make me stay young trying to keep up with you and all your women, you make me keep Mark's white dress shirts cleaned and ironed, you make me wish I could eat like you and not gain weight... you make me smile when I see you smile.... You amaze me at your talents... your patience to get things done right... and your ability to fix just about anything that needs a little touch~ 
     I know you are ready for college... I know you are ready for the next stage in life.... and I know that you are going to be successful.... but for once... I just wish you were in the backseat of my car with your feet propped up on the back of the seat... your head in my lap... four pi pis in your mouth... and covered in dirt.... I miss that little boy.... thank you for loving on my babies... and being their taxi, a role model, and a friend.... I can always count on you... and just remember... I always know what is best... and I don't mind telling you! 

Happy Graduation Day!  Good luck in the next phase of life... and know this... I am always here...

Love, Unty Britt





No comments: