Thursday, May 15, 2014

Hang out with Smart People!

     This blog is for my children... I have said it time and time again I want them to always have my thoughts written down so they can come back to what I think about certain things.... My advice for them tonight is HANG OUT WITH SMART PEOPLE!  I decided to latch on to a smart person a few years ago... and look where she got me! 
     When I moved back to Lincolnton in 2007, I took a job as a special education teacher.  I had no background in the strategies, the techniques, the laws.... but once I got in the classroom with the special education students I realized they are just like everyone else.  More than once I have shared with parents that the special needs children are just like the "normal" kids in so many ways... it's my job to find their strengths and improve their weaknesses using those strengths. It's no different with any child.  I loved being with them... I loved seeing those light bulbs come on... I loved pushing them and making them see that they could do anything!  In 2010, I had a visit from Marie and she praised me for doing a great job.... she was very specific... she said I had tried to complete IEPs correctly, she told me I was organized, and she told me that I should apply for the job that she was about to vacate.  I was taken by complete surprise because I had never been given such a compliment in all my years of teaching.  After talking with her during my planning period, I let her talk me into applying for the job.  I hung on her sweet comments to me and hoped for the best.  She gave me a confidence that I had lacked.  Not hearing that anyone believes in you, or thinks you are doing a good job, or that you are making a difference...is anything but easy.  I had worked in four school systems and nothing had ever made me feel as good as her words to me.  They were genuine, they were honest, and they were from her heart.  I took the job when it was offered to me... and she left me high and dry for another place! 
     The next year was one of learning for me professionally and personally.  She was not with me, but she had given me the confidence to do something that I would have never even considered.  I often wanted to hurt her that year for putting me through that, but I survived and counted down the days to be back in the classroom...swearing I would never leave again.  The next year I was back in the classroom and loved it more than I ever had before.  And then.... I had a message to come "look at" some reading materials to use for an intervention. As I sat on the floor and looked through materials she came and sat down.  I immediately got tears in my eyes because I knew what was coming... I knew that I was being let go due to funding.  She smiled that big smile and told me that wasn't why I was there.  The next few months were  a whirlwind, but she helped me gain the confidence to apply for a job that I would have never, ever considered in a million years.
     Marie pushed me... she did just what good teachers do... they see something in a student and they push... many times I have said she was trying to get blood out of  a turnip.  I could never thank her enough for suggesting  to me to apply for the job I have now... and I could never have made it these two years without her advice, her knowledge, and her experiences to share with me.  I write all this to say that my children will forever be able to thank her for the impact she made on their mama's life. 
     Professionally, I have grown.... I have learned and gained a confidence with her standing by me through every thought, idea (sometimes crazy), and situation I have had to deal with.  That says a lot... but I want to share what she has done for me personally.  She probably knows more about the past two years of my life more than anyone else except Mark.  We have had talks about being mothers, our children and their accomplishments and needs, and our beliefs.   She amazes me weekly with her thought process and knowledge.  She ranks up there with the top five smartest people I know!  She has perspectives that I would never think of and she has a precious gift of delivering those thoughts in a way that makes one feel like they are more special than anyone else in the world to her.  KB and Ben... you owe so much to her....
     It had been a hard day.... I went to her office with the stress of cheerleading, teaching, going back to school, and the new job of special education director.  I knew I could talk to her... I knew she would make me feel better... I shared that I was overwhelmed... something had to go... my children never saw me... I was living day by day and struggling with every aspect of my life.  I told her I wanted to give something up... I thought she would be so disappointed in me for not being able to do it all.... She did it all... she was a working mother with lots of responsibilities... people do it all the time.  But as I sat there that day, she gave me a peace like I had never felt about a situation.  She told me the story of Merritt and how she ended up graduating early.  My chest got tight as I thought about KB and how she might do the same thing.  Marie's words to me have impacted my life tremendously.  She told me that this time is precious with my children and I can't ever get it back.  I came home that day and knew I would give it all up.  It's the best decision I have ever made in my career. 
     Marie constantly compliments me on KB and tells me how beautiful she is... how sweet she is... and shows she has a genuine love for my child.  Many times our conversations lead to tears in our eyes, and for that, I will always love her.  Last year around Christmas I was struggling with a gift for Ben... she smiled as she talked about Taylor and Blaine and suggested I get some art supplies.  She also thought building airplanes would be fun for him.  She doesn't really know my children, but she has listened to me talk about them and comes up with perfect ideas for them.  Her idea of me staying home part time is the best, but her Christmas ideas are good too!
     I sit here tonight with hundreds of stories that I could tell with advice, care, and concern by her for so many people in our community.   I feel like I am losing my foundation at work.  She is leaving me without all the knowledge she has... her advice... her viewpoints.... I'm sure we need to replace the carpet between our offices because I have worn it out asking her questions.  Marie, thank you for giving me confidence, having great ideas for me to try,  giving me more time with my children, and most of all for being a friend who I can trust with my deepest fears and secrets!  No eligibility meeting will ever be the same without your descriptions of the children that prove your love for the them immediately... you care for them like no other educator I have ever met.  And even though you haven't been in the classroom in years... I want you to know that I was your last student and while I may not be the valedictorian... you did a good job because you have pushed me, made me think, and given me an opportunity at a career that I never would have dreamed of!  Thanks for everything! 
     I wish you the best and hope you and Steve put more miles on the bikes than the car!  Just teasing... enjoy the grandbaby, the retirement, and keep your phone on!!!! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Second time you've made me cry today!

Unknown said...

Second time you've made me cry today!