Saturday, December 22, 2018

Who is your favorite star?

First of all, I have many, many old television shows I DVR and watch... as I was thinking about this blog piece though... Suzanne Sugarbaker of Designing Women popped into my brain!  I love her "no filter" comments, her thoughts, and her being "real".  The writer's of this show did an excellent job of portraying an all-around southern lady with just a little sass and a lot of opinion.   One of my favorite episodes is when she has the Miss Georgia crown taken away from her because of a calculation error from many years ago.  She describes the girl who won as a big ole mean country girl, hugging and kissing, and slopping sugar when the judges were around... but really mean otherwise... she put Suzanne's fire baton in the commode... you can't get much worse than that! 

I love to use her line of "slopping sugar".  I'll admit... I can slop sugar with the best of them!  I do it all the time.  I smile, I nod my head, I make someone feel like they are one hundred percent right when in my head~ I'm saying, "Lord, help them!"  They have no idea what I really think and I don't really know what to say to them.  I'm sure someone else might be the same way.  You know... slopping sugar... being all nice... and really judging from the inside.  I'm convicted of that quite often.  So what should we do? 

Look up... look to the star.  Our favorite star should be the One above... we should look to Him... and be like Him.  So many times I find myself acting like Suzanne Sugarbaker because she gets to say what she wants... when she wants... but is that how I should act?  Nope... a big Nope!  Philippians 2:13 tells us "for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose"  I am quite sure that God isn't slopping sugar... He isn't fake.  He isn't saying one thing and doing another.  He is real.  I need to invite Him to my "slopping sugar" party and be real.  BE like Him. 

As you embark on your Christmas holiday visiting relatives who may not think like you do... relatives who may not live like you do... relatives who crawl under your fingernails and make your skin crawl... look at them with a new perspective... don't look at them as what you think about them... look at them as what God thinks about them.  Find the good in them... find the joy in them... and find a peace for the time you spend with them.  Don't ruin your Christmas slopping sugar and being fake.  Be real... be like Jesus... and when the moment comes you want to be ugly... look to the Star... He will fill you with all the sugar you need! 


No comments: