Tuesday, December 18, 2018

The Star of the Show

This little one in the picture made her debut into the world on December 21, 1999.  She thinks she is the star of the show at our house... and most of the time she is.... she is coming in from work now and has officially finished her first semester at Clemson.  Her dreams came true when she hoped to attend Clemson... her dreams came true that she would be successful... and her dreams came true that she made it through the semester without crying too much!  I'll share even more on her birthday when things might be official! 

For me, it seems like yesterday that I was holding this three day old baby in the dress that Lolly smocked for her at the last minute.  Who knew I would need a smocked Christmas dress for her??? I was thinking her first one would be for Valentine's Day.  God's plan was different for this little one and she didn't have enough patience to stay put... she wanted to come on out into the big world in the 1900s instead of 2000. 

I'm sorry that I haven't written in the last few days... life has happened for us.... plans have been mixed up... I have been busy with children... and I have had a few extra things pop up!  So....I'm not promising a blog post every night from now until Christmas, but I sure am going to try! 

Of course the last day we will look at Jesus as our character in the Nativity Scene, but for the next few nights... I want to talk about the star.  The star that is in each scene of the birth of Christ.  Stars are mentioned several times in the Bible, and a star was there the night Jesus was born.... and have you ever thought about this.... those same stars are out there tonight for us to look at!  Isn't that amazing?  We are looking at the same skies that Jesus did... and Moses... and Noah... and Adam.  We think it's been so long ago, but it really hasn't.  Time has flown by from their time to now.... just like that baby girl in the picture above has grown in 19 years so quickly.  The stars may fade and explode, but the skies are the exact same!

There was a star that appeared when Jesus was born... according to Matthew... and the wisemen were seeking HIM when they set out under Herod's orders.  The star was their guide.  And that... is where I want to star our discussion on stars! 

Is THE STAR your guide?  I believe with all my heart that the STAR is who we need to be looking to as we travel on this journey of life.  Stars give off light.... they don't burn out... they are above us all the time.  When KB was born... she was the star of our house... she gave us a new aspect on life.  She  grew up... she sinned... she made good choices and bad choices... and she shone brightly and grew dim.... she has brought joy to our lives and made us proud.  I can only imagine the joy that Jesus brought to Mary and Joseph.  I'm sure they were just as proud of him as any parent is of their own children.  But we can't let our children be the star that guides us.... Jesus has to be the star in order for us to be headed in the right directions! 

I think we all know that Mary and Joseph relied on God to guide them in making decisions about Jesus... and I hope that the STAR is the guide for each of you as you make decisions regarding your children.  I challenge you to look into the skies and talk to God... ask him to cover your children with protection, safety, blessings, grace, and mercy... ask him to watch over them and put a hedge of security around them... bathe your children in prayer as they go out into the world making good and bad choices.  Herod was an evil man, but he allowed the astrologers "wisemen" to go out and seek the Messiah.  I think it is very telling that a bad man led this group to a great thing.... For tonight.... I want you to be thankful for something bad that has happened in your life... because later you saw the good of it.  That's your "star" story.  It's amazing to read about those who have bad things that have happened and good came from it.  What if your story makes a difference for someone who is struggling?  Some of you may be going through that bad patch right now and need someone to help you... some of you may have been through a rough patch and just aren't ready to share... and some of you have been through a tough time and lived to tell about it!  There is nothing better than being able to talk about how God used a hopeless situation to make life better for you. 

I'd love to read about how God has made your life better.  You can comment on the blog anonymously or you can send a message...  or you can tell a friend or family member.... but seek him in your situation... Find your star story and share it... let your life experiences help someone else. 

And many of my situations are about this little star who turns 19 this week.  She has taught me so many things about how life isn't controlled by my wishes or hers... it's God's plan... and we are all the better for having been here!  


No comments: