Tuesday, December 11, 2018

A Wiseman... in more ways than one!





A wiseman... in more ways than one! 

Let me tell you about this wiseman I know.... 

December 21, 1999, after two days of being knocked out.... I gave birth to Katie Britt during an emergency c-section.  I was diagnosed with HELLP syndrome.  The H stands for hemolysis... a breakdown of red blood cells, EL stands for Elevated Liver Enzymes.... liver function, and the LP stands for Low Platelets... platelets help the blood clot.  I decided to include the what was wrong with you part because no one has ever heard of this! 


I felt terrible and knew in my heart that something was wrong.  Right before they put the mask over my face to put me to sleep, my doctor kissed me on the cheek and she whispered that I was going to be fine... and so would the baby.  I closed my eyes and woke up that night with a sweet baby girl.  Later I was told that I was one of the doctor's  top five emergencies in the 3000 plus babies she had delivered... I was black and blue from my chest to my legs in trying to clot my blood... and I was so, so weak.  About 24 hours after the delivery, I had a nurse ask me if she could pray with me because we really needed these blood samples she was sending to come back with higher platelet levels.  I never really knew how sick I was until after it was over.... I've often thought about how God put just the right people in the right place at the right time.... The Christmas Spirit was with me those days in the hospital... it was all around me.  Even when I didn't realize just what a miracle I had in my arms, I was sure that I had a wiseman there!  

Christmas Eve morning we were told that we could head home... by the time all the paperwork and doctors had visited, it was about four in the afternoon when Mark took me home with a beautiful little baby girl in my arms.  As we were riding home, I am sure I put him on high alert because I was worried to death that our sweet little girl wouldn't have a visit from Santa because she was about six weeks early...  I talked non-stop about how stupid it was that I didn't take care of Santa before she came... Santa hadn't even thought about getting her any toys made.  Mark rushed us home and got me settled in bed with KB beside me and he headed to the grocery store to get something for supper.  I'll never forget that he made breakfast quiche for supper after asking me a hundred questions on what he needed to do.....  every Christmas morning since that day, we have had breakfast quiche... I get to make it now though. 

The next morning, Mark came upstairs with a little gift for KB and said that Santa had left it.  He said that Santa had gone to Winn Dixie and found the one little toy that was left on Christmas Eve.  I burst into tears as I saw a little hippopotamus bracelet/dog toy that was pink in color and was perfect in every way.  KB doesn't remember what Santa did that night for her, but for the past 19 years on Christmas morning... she has received some kind of hippopotamus to remind her that Santa doesn't forget you... even if you are early... are unexpected... or untimely!  Her twentieth Christmas will be this year, and Santa will bring her a hippo something again.  Mark took control that first year and did an excellent job of talking to Santa... he didn't want to mess that up, so he has given me the duties of talking to Santa since then!  

I have been blessed with a wiseman... the story above is just one way he has taken care of me... given me gifts that I need and want... as you think about the wisemen in your life... recognize them... tell them thank you for the good and bad in your life!  I don't thank Mark nearly enough for what he does for us... he has ventured out into a new job this past week that has our entire family excited... we have played with Legos and electronic robots during the snowstorm... and I even built a tadpole that moved its legs this weekend.... although his job takes him away from us, I'm thankful for the opportunities he has and what he does for us. 

I guess my message tonight is to the wisest man I know... an appreciation post because sometimes I think I get so busy during the Christmas season I forget to thank the breadwinner of the family.  I encourage you to thank your wiseman too... don't take him for granted... and if you think you might want to jot a few words down to him in a card... DO IT!  That gift doesn't cost anything and sure would mean a lot! 



No comments: