Thursday, December 6, 2018

I thought it was a hook...it's a CROOK!

I read an article about the tool that a shepherd uses.... I have always called it a hook, but it makes more sense to be a crook... and this article said it was a crook... I mean it's crooked!  My children will tell you that I make up words... especially when I sing... I guess this is another case of that! 

Anyway... the article talks about the two things a shepherd's "crook" is used for.... the first is to help the shepherd reach out and have longer arms to control the direction of the sheep.  Without the tool to guide the sheep, the shepherd really doesn't have any control over the sheep.  He can lead them a little ways, but he can't lead them in a group where they need to go. 

The other thing the crook is for is to catch the sheep by the neck to guide them.  From all angles you should be able to "hook" with the "crook" on the sheep's neck.  Once you have the crook around the neck the sheep will go where you lead. 

What's your tool?   What do you use to reach people?  What do you do to guide people?  What do you do to make sure your group, your flock, your herd is heading in the right direction? 

I'd like to think my tool is my Bible.  Sometimes reality slaps you right in the face and you have to make hard decisions about the tools to use.  Tonight, I have dealt with a little sheep in my house.  He emailed me today to come sign a paper for him.  I did it... not really thinking.... but didn't realize that it was supposed to be signed two nights ago.  He was wrong... he had just about escaped trouble but someone told on him!  I'm so glad they did.... whoever it was... they are a blessing to me.  I don't like to cover for my children... I think I have to show them the right thing to do.  When you forget things, you do wrong, or you make bad choices... fess up and take the punishment.  I've shared with his teacher that I have been a victim in this situation... He completely outsmarted me.  I hope I'm not going to be labeled one of those "oh, his mama will let him do anything he wants"!  Tomorrow he will be punished... not for being dishonest, but for trying to be sneaky.  The little sheep is tired of his mama bleating wisdom and discernment into his head tonight.  I'm pulling all kinds of tools out... you know verses, words of wisdom, and a guilt trip!  I hope while he is sitting on silent-lunch tomorrow he will soak in the reason he is sitting and accept his punishment.  Butchie never did his homework, he never had to because his grandmother did it for him.... Daddy also would have probably forged Granny's name to the progress report.  I know it could be a lot worse, but I use this example to say that you can't wait until something happens to find the tool to use.... you will lose the battle every time.  Have a tool ready... use your Bible and know verses to spit right back out in those little sheep's eyes!  If I had a shepherd's hook tonight I'd grab him by the neck and try to lead him in the right direction.  I hope I was able to use the crook to bring my sheep back into the "right thing to do" world tonight... I hope I can show him that doing the right thing is always right... even if it means you suffer a little. 

Of course this wasn't going to be my post when I planned out this week, but in order for us to be shepherds and guide the lost sheep... we have to have a tool... mine is my voice... with words of wisdom to a teenager... I'm just praying it worked! 



No comments: