Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Some of the Wisest Men May Be Gone Already!

They say "the first year is the hardest"... I beg to differ... the second year has been ups and downs of happiness and sadness realizing that Butchie won't be back here with us for Christmas this year either.  As I focus on Wisemen in the Nativity Scene... I have to talk about one of the wisest men I have ever known.  Daddy was smart in so many ways... more ways than I probably know, but I continue to see him daily in Ben and KB... I hear myself saying things he would say... and Mark often says things to remind me of Daddy and in Butch's words he says things that make me laugh.... Daddy left his mark on my family and I'm so glad... except maybe the devilish things Ben does that remind me of him.  Daddy once told me that everyone can have one mistake... Mark's mistake is he went to Clemson.... that makes me smile now... I didn't always agree with Daddy... and I think that Mark's love of Clemson has led us down a path that has made life so much better... I know my Dawg fans won't agree, but in my heart... I know Daddy liked Clemson too! 

The wisemen didn't have much "logical" proof about that baby that was going to be born.  They had read and heard things and acted on that.  They knew what the prophets said and they went with their gut to follow a star.... they knew in their hearts what to do and where to go....

I know Daddy wasn't perfect... in fact, he would tell you that... but in my eyes... I chose to see the good in the man that I called Daddy... and I have never really thought about him being wise... until now... I know I never thought he was wise when he was alive!  I loved him, but I never realized just how much he knew.  He was like those wisemen... he went with his gut and did what he thought was right.... he also did everything he wanted!  I find myself, daily, wishing I could ask him a question or get his opinion because I valued his opinion.  He wasn't one of those men who sat back and let women run all over him.  He was a man who gave his opinion... and if he hurt your feelings... he thought that was even better.  I love to hear stories about things he would say at work to Dianne, Fran, and Mama... one of his greatest qualities was being able to tick them off!  Just like the wisemen... he acted on what he "heard" whether it was true or not!  That could be good or bad! 

Daddy was the first grandchild on the Mattison's side and according to his family... he was the favorite.  My great-grandmother, SueJette, was even known to do his homework... in HER HANDWRITING!  He grew up able to do no wrong... he was spoiled rotten... and he was loved by his grandparents and never did anything ugly in their eyes... Mama blamed all his faults on his grandmother.... and often called him "Pop" who was his granddaddy.  Mama said he was one of the grouchiest men she had ever met... in fact, she says he would sit in his chair and wait for Guille and Jim to come inside the door to yell at them and say, "SHUT THE DOOR!".... Daddy did the same thing to my children... So... Daddy was wise because he let his grandmother do his homework... he had his grandparents eating out the palm of his hands... and he "let" them spoil him rotten!  That's pretty wise if you ask me!

Daddy's next wise choice was marrying Mama... I mean he couldn't have picked a better woman for himself.  She waited on him hand and foot... she ran our household and kept us straight... The three of us are who we are because of her!  He let her be honest with us, tell us when we were right or wrong., and my favorite was one time when Mama and I were arguing and he came to my bedroom and said, "Do y'all want me to get you some knives so you can just cut each other!".... He made me laugh in hard times.... He knew that the tension was thick and needed to do something to fix it!  Dealing with a hard-headed teenager isn't easy.... but he showed me to don't let things get too serious!  Daddy was our friend... except the time that he made me mad and wouldn't let me go to the Georgia Southern vs. Auburn game when I was in college... when I snapped back at him, he told me that I couldn't go because I squatted to pee.... I was furious at him.... If I had had the knife he offered me when Mama and I were arguing I would have cut him!  I didn't realize he was trying to protect me... He didn't mince words... he made sure I knew what he meant.  Now that I have a daughter in college... I agree with his statement... He was wise!  If he didn't agree with something he told us... he didn't let us "Be young and do what we wanted"... he also didn't believe in the "I'm afraid she will run off and do something crazy if we don't let her do this".... I knew better!

Daddy was also wise in his job choice... he "let" Mama run the insurance office and he was the front man... When I tell people that Daddy was an insurance agent... I can immediately see the look in their eyes that he was one of those door to door salesmen who was constantly calling and bothering people.  As far as I know, Daddy didn't have to do any of that... he made deals while playing golf... while going to ballgames... and hanging out with people.  He was often found taking a nap at work... I can say this now that he is gone... but he loved to act like he was reading the paper and shut his eyes for a few minutes after lunch!  People came to him to buy insurance... and he was wise because he let Mama handle all the paperwork!  She would tell him what to do and he did it... he was wise because he listened to her!  Good men listen to their wives! 

Growing up I always heard stories about Jett, his grandmother, doing his homework... so I thought he wasn't smart... but in his last few years... I realized just how smart he was.  I would call and ask a question about politics and he knew so many things.... could give me history from years and years ago!   Once when we were in San Diego I called him and told him we were watching some ship leave port and he knew everything about it.  HE amazed me often... but the thing I was most amazed by was that he watched all news channels.  He said it was important to hear the other sides to things... and you know what.... that's a wise choice.  Sometimes I get wrapped up in a situation or an event and flip the channel to hear another side to the story.  He taught me that I need to have my opinion about things... and most likely, if you agree 100% with a person... you really aren't smart at all... you are just a follower.  That has been so true in the last two years... I don't like to listen to people who are all for everything that Trump does... and I don't like to listen to people who are against everything that Trump does... I've learned they aren't really smart at all.  He was wise because he let facts back up his thoughts. 

Daddy was also wise because he made everyone feel like he loved them the best.  I don't have that trait... but it's something I work on every day... I try so hard not to show my emotions on my face... to put a filter over my mouth... and to worry about something else.... but that gene wasn't passed down to me.... If I could back and ask God for something... it would be Daddy's ability to make others think he loved them so much!  I"m not good being fake....most people look right at me and know what I'm thinking!  That't not wise! 

Life is so much easier when we choose to be wisemen too... I choose to focus on the great characteristics that I saw in the man I called Daddy.... but there are other people I don't choose to do that with... and I'm at fault for that.... As much as I loved Daddy, I know that I should love everyone that much.  I should love people when they hurt my feelings, I should love people when they disappoint me, I should love people when I want to strangle someone!  Wisemen knew what the prophets said and they followed it... I know the Bible says to Love everyone.... so this Christmas....I'm going to do my best to be a Wisemen and love others... even the unlovable in my eyes.  Thanks Butchie for being an example in that area.... Be wise... love others... make good choices... go with your gut (Holy Spirit)... and love your family with all your heart! 

No comments: