Sunday, January 1, 2012

Wow~ 2012...

I remember when I was little calculating numerous times how old I would be when the year 2000 rolled around~ 29. It seemed like it would take forever for that year to get to here. I dreamed of goals and accomplishments that I would have conquered by that point...some came true~ I was married, I had graduated from college, and I was happy~ some did not~ I never cheered for the Dallas Cowboys, I never got to go to Maine to the LL Bean outlet, and I never worked at the White House. I did, on that night of December 31, 1999, have a little 10 day old baby girl in my hands. We rang in the New Year with a midnight feeding and a quiet night at home. I thought that night that I couldn't be happier!
My children got four-wheelers for Christmas. Yes, they are spoiled... but what child isn't? Growing up in Lincolnton with farmland everywhere and a lake surrounding three sides of the county, I admit that I never used these assets as a child. When I moved away and ran into people who had heard of Lincolnton...they always said something about the land and the water. I regretted not having used them growing up. When we moved back to Lincolnton, I became involved with all these things. The four-wheelers have given me the opportunity to enjoy the lake and land even more!
I have just come in from a weekend of riding four-wheelers and hanging out at the farm. Other than the crick in my neck and a sore back, it was a wonderful weekend. I have laughed, been stuck in the mud, eaten until I am about to blow up, and hopefully made memories that will never be forgotten.
Memories... isn't that all we really have? As I was riding today, I thanked God for the opportunity that I had to ride and enjoy his beautiful earth. Nature...like I had never experienced before. I am sure that Ben didn't worry about God on that trip today or yesterday, but I feel confident that we made a memory for him. My hope is that one day when I might be gone, or too old to ride... he will take his children on those trails and talk about the day that his mama and daddy and fourteen other four-wheelers went riding. I hope that God will allow him this memory and it will warm his heart!
As I am overwhelming myself with lists today...first of the year...new things... clean slates... I have decided that I am going to make a New Year's Resolution that I may be able to keep. This year I hope to make memories with my family. I want them to look back at 2012 and have so many memories! I am going to focus more on spending time with them instead of worrying about cutting out coupons, clothes washing, and lines on the carpet. Old habits are hard to break... in my mind I am saying I am going to give up my couch naps on Sundays, but... just because I did it today...doesn't mean I am sticking to it!

No comments: