Wednesday, December 28, 2011

The Help

Leah, Bobbie, Gail, Mama, and I gathered at the Rhodes Theater tonight to watch the movie "The Help". I really wished I had read the book first. Then again, maybe I don't wish that. Having taught Civil Rights and the era of racial inequality through many forms of literature, I had never considered it from that perspective. Just like a good book, I have to put myself as one of the characters and wonder how life would have been had I lived during that time.
My family is very fortunate. We have a "helper" who has been with our family since my mama was in the 8th grade. She has kept all my grandmother's grandchildren and even some of the great-grands. She is wonderful, smart, sweet, caring, loving, kind....everything. She was with me on those special occasions of my life. I remember sitting on my grandmother's back porch watching soap operas with her while she ironed. She taught me about bras, tampons, and feminine products that were advertised. I remember on my first day of 8th grade when I became a woman...she and my grandmother came and got me from school and fixed me up! I remember her on the day of Miss Lincoln County Green when I was 16 carrying my dress in for me, making sure it was zipped up, and making sure I had all hair in place. She held my hand with my best friend at the time as we said a prayer my mama taught me~ "Dear Lord, Help me to remember that nothing can happen that You and I together can't handle." She was with me on the day I went to college and helped me move in to my apartment. She was with me on the day of my wedding and made sure I had lipstick, my hair was in place, and I was "proper". Never in that time did I think of her as being not like me. I loved her with all my heart and knew she was special!
KB was born on December 21. At the time Mary was working at the daycare and had a two week vacation. I can remember Mama calling me at the hospital and saying that Mary was willing to come and stay with me when I got home from the hospital for a week. That was a call from the good Lord Himself! I was thrilled. Mary taught me everything I needed to know that week. She taught me to NEVER wake a sleeping baby! KB has been a good sleeper since that first week. I do remember that week as being the first time it was a little awkward...When we would get ready to eat at night, she didn't want to sit at the table with Mark and me. We finally made her and it was all great from there. She even came and sat with me when we moved to Lincolnton after my hysterectomy....She has been with me through it all! Some of the things from the movie really made me think.
I hope I have never made her feel like she was different. I hope I never made her feel like she wasn't important. I hope I only made her feel like she was part of my family. She is so special to Boo-Ma's five grandchildren~ the life lessons of cooking, cleaning, ironing, disciplining, reading, writing...she has done it all. I know that we are lucky to have her in our lives. I know we could never pay her what she is worth. She is so special and deserving of a wonderful life! She has made ours the best!
I can only hope that I would be Skeeter in the movie. I do hope that she would trust me, she would know I would never mistreat her, and she would know I wouldn't take advantage of her. She was my help...not in the sense of a maid... but in the sense of a person who opened my eyes to the life of prayer, a life of motherhood, and life of good living. She helped me see what life was all about and how great it is if you choose to make good decisions! Thanks Mary! I love you!

1 comment:

Selena said...

I loved the book. Your tribute to Mary is beautiful. I sure could use some help at my house.