Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Tomorrow I turn 41 years old.
When I was little, 41 was O.L.D! It isn’t…it is young! I feel young, I want to be young, and I want to look young! Who doesn’t?
As I look back at my life, I have learned so many lessons in the 41 years...it makes me think I am old...but I wouldn't trade anyone's life for mine right now~ I am a lucky girl!
1. In 1979, we moved to Lincolnton. I learned that I didn’t have to be afraid of ever moving again (more later), I didn’t have to be afraid of teachers, I didn’t have to be afraid of “strangers”. We were in Lincolnton, we were home, we were with family.
2. In 1980, I found out that the feeling of guilt or uh oh something is wrong…was my believing in Jesus~ I knew He was something special.
3. In 1983, at the age of 12, I learned that I was going to survive if I spent the night away from home. I still don’t like staying at other people’s houses, but I realized that I would make it back home safely!
4. In 1984, I realized that if I wore a shirt dark enough~ and big enough~ the boys wouldn’t know I had on a bra. I was so naïve, modest, afraid of growing up!
5. In 1986, I discovered that just because you win a beauty pageant doesn’t make you beautiful. I have never had so many people tell me that winning a pageant doesn’t matter…it’s what is on the inside. They were so right!
6. In the fall of 1987…I learned what true RED DEVIL spirit was! I cheered for our third state championship team, and I begged to buried in my cheerleading uniform if anything ever happened to me!
7. In 1989, I learned that just because my life was over at Lincoln County High School…it was really just beginning. I also learned about love gone wrong and sometimes unanswered prayers are the BEST!
8. The years of 1990-1994- I could write a book about my college days. My funniest/saddest memory… I remember walking into my apartment and seeing a zip-loc bag of “grass” on the table. I thought it was grass clippings. It wasn’t… I found that out later on, but I learned that I didn’t have to do that to be cool…to be in…to be a part of a group. I am proud to say that I have never done drugs. I hope my children will follow in my footsteps. I also learned around 1991 through the summer of 1992 that loving someone was so easy when they were good to you! I think I fell in love when I realized he would be a great daddy!
9. In 1996, I learned what it was like to be married! I know that first year should be wonderful, happy, and great… mine wasn’t! Mark left me on Sunday afternoons and didn’t come back until Friday nights. I was so lonely...but those two years of his hard work have gotten us where we are right now! I learned that moving away from Lincolnton was not that bad, and I learned that God will give you friends to replace the emptiness of moving to a new town. I learned that friends can do for you what family can do when family isn’t around. I learned what a true best friend is…and I learned that clothes, dishes, and houses don’t have magic fairies to clean them!
10. In 1998, I learned that going to work in a small town like Lincolnton would save me from not being at home. I met people who will never be forgotten…I will always love… I will always respect! God put me there for them to take care of my family and me since we weren’t home!
11. In 1999, I learned what it was like to hold a baby girl in my arms that was all mine! I learned what unconditional love was. I learned that even though she was relying on me for her every need… nothing would ever make me not love her. I also learned my actions and words would reflect how she grew up…I would be an influence to her! I also realized what my mama meant when she would say how special it was that I was her girl… She always sent me cards that said, “We girls!”… I love that KB and I have that bond now!
12. In 2004, I learned that the gift of a baby boy the morning after my birthday would be a present no one could ever top. I learned that the love of a mama for a little boy is very different from that of a daughter. I learned that he would always have my heart and just like a mother lion…I would attack anyone who hurt my baby boy! I also met some pretty awesome neighbors who I can rely on to entertain me with just a picture or a one word text!
13. In 2006, I learned what it was like to lose a father-in-law and watch a husband be touched by the hands of God. Bobby’s death had a silver-lining… Mark grew closer to God and decided he wanted to be the father his daddy was. He was never a bad person… but now he is so much more! He is a hard-worker, a good daddy, and does everything he can to give us what we need!
14. In 2007, I learned that if you pray for something long enough…in God’s time (like 13 years)… dreams/prayers are answered! I finally got to move back home! I wouldn’t give a thing for being here to take my daddy to doctor, to ask my mama to cook a dessert for me, to see my nieces and nephews grow up before my eyes, and to eat lunch at my mama's every Sunday. I am thrilled that my children can grow up in this little pond of Lincolnton!
15. In 2011, I learned that turning 40 really wasn’t all that bad! I had the best of friends at a party to help me celebrate! I finally got to dance on the table! I loved pretending to be in high school again with all the old timey music played. I only wish I could have a party every year!
16. This has really been a great year! I have learned that doing the right thing isn’t always the easiest thing…but it is the right thing! I have learned to bite my tongue. I have learned to choose my battles. I have learned to make every effort I can to “make memories” with my children! I've learned to put my family first. A few of our memories this year will be a tree falling on our roof, buying a camper and having to live in it while the roof was replaced, boat rides with Dabo, flying on an airplane, riding on Amtrax, going to Philadelphia, a trip to New Orleans, following an awesome high school football team, going to Clemson ball games, and going to church together!
17. Turning 41 isn’t going to be bad at all! Besides...the new old is like 80...instead of 40!

No comments: