Friday, August 17, 2018

It was all good.... until the end!

It's been a wonderful day.  Not really knowing what to expect, but imagining lots of things, I was pleasantly surprised to wake up with the greatest sense of peace.  There is no other way to describe it.  As I was reading my Bible this morning, friends sent me the sweetest text messages of encouragement.  I had many check on me throughout the day... and I proudly typed back that I was fine and felt great!  

One of my absolute favorite verses in the Bible is Joshua 1:9.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.  

I know He didn't, but I feel like God was leaving someone out today because I felt so comforted and just knew that things were going to be okay... I felt like I had extra love and care!  


I'm not real sure which one of us is going to miss her the most... Suki or me.  I am not sure she realizes Sis is gone yet because she really only visits first thing in the morning and at night when it's time to eat.  Suki will be my responsibility tonight to feed... and I'll have to break the news to her that Sis won't be coming home for some time... but I'll reassure her that I will take care of her!  This was her goodbye time this morning.  





Everything ran smoothly this morning.  We packed the car last night... best thing ever... and all we had to put in the car were just a few last minute items.  
Everyone thinks I'm the sentimental, sappy mama... but Mark took this picture... showing that she is 54 miles from us... and a little over an hour.  I can't imagine these children going across the country for school.  I commend them and their parents! 

https://youtu.be/qQqtCdZ_zDE

The link above is us driving out of the driveway... I didn't even think of it... he did!  


Traffic was great and we were greeted by helpers to unload the car and truck.  Mark was bragging on the way home that the only thing he brought to the dorm room was her Yeti cup.... and he is telling the truth!  All the horror stories of the elevator not working, the air not working, pouring rain... none of that!  It was great!  


I'm not sure who came up with this idea about appointment times for unloading... and helpers... but they are little blessings in disguise!  It was fantastic and took about ten minutes to get her things to the room!




We were greeted by two beds, two bookshelves, a microfridge, and two chairs... I think I had prepared myself for the rooms like we had at cheerleading camp... with those terrible smells... but it was really nice... and clean... 


We quickly started working and got just about everything set up by 1:00.  





Just like a true Mattison-McKinney, the television is the most important item to a room!  Ben quickly started working on that! 




I have looked for weeks and weeks for pillows for her bed... I know those suckers are going to be on the floor tonight and never get back on that bed... she probably won't make her bed again... I'll have to go up there to change the sheets!  


These two had fun for a little bit, but ...a 14 year old and Mark... in a small dorm room... with other people.... they had to go do something!  


And these two needed a break from unpacking!  


A little comfort from home... all her high school t-shirts made into a blanket! 


 A few knick-knacks to make her feel at home... 
 It's amazing what a little command strip will hold up!  
 The view of her bed from up high! 

 I spent the last few months on Amazon buying every space saver, dorm suggestion I could find!  

 The finished product the first time... Amberly... notice the ribbon and Tiger Paw on the curtain... all for you!  

Courtney's parents left about lunchtime and we headed out to pick out a few more things! 


I'm hoping these two become the best of friends!   I think they are pretty comfortable with each other after only two visits! 


And while we were slaving away getting a dorm room set up... these two went to play the Walker Course.  We were actually glad for them to be out of our way for a little bit!  This is the "tiger paw" hole.  Sweet memories for these two...it also helped for them not to be anxious all day around her! 


When they made it back... we started getting a little sad.  Not sure how to make the transition easier... the teacher came out in me... let's just go.  Let's turn the tv on and get her mind on something else.... well.... that was an act of congress to get done... 


 I just wanted a sweet picture of these two before we left... and check out the background... ugh

 He has already sent me a text that says, "I miss Sis".... "It's not the same without Sis in my bed"  and it breaks my heart!  

He wanted to spend the night ... but we said no! 


It took all the RAs on the hall to come help us out with the television.  



 I know her room will probably never be this straight again... 
 I'm just hoping those pictures don't fall tonight and scare them half to death! 
And I know Mama thinks that bedskirt should be ironed... but I'm hoping the wrinkles will just fall out!  



One last shot before we leave the room... 

 I think he was trying to see if he could sleep up there with her... 
 He thinks he can!  Says it's soft enough!
 And just a warning... these next pictures aren't very nice....  there was some ugly crying going on... 
As we were walking out of her dorm, it started pouring rain!  While some might think that is terrible... some might think how sad... I literally thanked God... God's timing is perfect... it had been beautiful all day.... and then the rains came down... it made our goodbyes have to go quickly and hid some of our tears!  I walked around the corner to see these two embracing and made them hug one more time for a picture because I could see her tears... and one day she will want to remember this... 
No one... absolutely no one can know the love in this picture... I've never been hugged harder in my life... I know we would still be standing there if I didn't let go... I feel like I've lost my best friend... but I also know this is the greatest thing in the world for her.  I didn't cry this hard when Daddy died... I tried to hold it together for her and then just said, "Heck... let's just cry and get it out!"... I didn't know Mark took this until I got almost home and the tears started again.... I see fear in this picture, I see sadness, I see a little girl that used to sit with a pi-pi, a bow, a smocked dress... and a little girl who dreamed big and her dreams came true.  She is stepping into college, taking on a job that will open many doors, and live exactly where she has dreamed of being since she was four!  As easy as it would have been for me to say just get back in the car and let's go home.... I was like all good mamas and I made her stay... I pushed her little hiney out of the nest and made her stay!  Okay- I just let go of the hug and told her she would fine... and to be strong!  It's the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.  As I've been texting with one of my friends tonight, I told her that I know I will see her again... but if I think real hard about the future... and the possibility that she will never live with us again full-time... I just have to thank God that she was here for 18 1/2 years... but now she is going into the big world.... and I've bathed her in pray to be taken care of... no matter what happens... she will always be my baby.   She called a few minutes ago... I know that sound... I know the feeling... She is me... she is so me...there is no sick like homesick.  But she is going to be fine... because I know her... she is kind, she is smart, and she is important... I'm not going to tell her now, but she will have this feeling for the rest of her life!  It will never be the same!  

This one hasn't cried, but he asked for Goody... he said he might sleep in her bed... and has already gotten in our bed now... I think that might be close enough to a cry!  




I typed this little note to leave with a hidden goody bag of her favorites- dry shampoo, peanut butter, a t-shirt with elephants, and a bracelet.  She found it and opened it tonight... I find comfort in knowing that God is holding her in his hand and taking care of her.  This experience is what true faith is... handing over your child to the world... and believing that she is going to be taken care of!  I know these next few weeks will be an adjustment... and if you see me and I look like I've forgotten my mascara... you'll know why... and if I walk away when you start talking about it... you'll know why... and if you see the tears come from nowhere... you'll know why!   

Of course it has taken me forever to write this post because I have had phone calls and texts coming in like crazy... but I'll end with this sweet picture... after hearing her sad voice tonight and thinking how miserable she might be... she sent me this picture with all smiles in her new "matching" pajamas... which is unheard of for her!  Thanks to Jane and Mimi for helping pick them out!  

I'm going to bed tonight... with one of my chickens not here... I'm hoping she cries only happy tears from now!  #mytis  #loveyou #wegirls #sukisaidhey


No comments: