Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Daddy's Bench


One of Daddy's favorite places to be was Hunka Jim's farm.  Whether it was our family holidays, a meal with the men, or a football Saturday, Daddy enjoyed being there.  We've debated back and forth about where we wanted his "bench", and it has landed at the farm.  

It was delivered yesterday and is in the perfect spot.  I don't believe that Daddy is there... I know better... but I love that when anyone drives up to visit Cole Baby...they remember Daddy.  

The bench describes Daddy perfectly, his birth and his death years with BUTCH in the middle ... he was always in the middle... the center of attention... whether he was showing off his athletic skills, telling a "tale" or two, or catching up on the latest gossip... Butch was the center of our world... and a few others... 

I've wished so many times these last few weeks that I could talk to him... I know he'd tell me, "Buh, my girl is gonna be fine... you quit bothering her! She probably needs to go somewhere besides Clemson, but she is gonna be fine!"   I can't wait to go sit on the bench and talk to him!  

Jim sent me this picture today... that red bird sitting on the bench doesn't even look real, but I know it's a Godwink... he's checking it out... he likes it... he's proud of it... and he is sporting that red for the Red Devils and Georgia... ugh (from the McKinney family)

My prayer is that for generations to come that bench will have people telling Butch stories and standing around talking... in case he can hear... he might need to know the latest news of the town.  My hope is that his six grandchildren will take time to sit on it... and remember the times they sat in his lap, watching tv, and learning ugly words... okay, maybe not that part!  It's the perfect symbol of remembrance of him...~ for me... I'll sit there with a smile, and maybe a few tears, as I think about his love for each of us... I hope everyone stops by and visits his bench as they remember a funny story or two about Daddy.  

No comments: