Friday, August 23, 2013

The heart of a Devil~

     We moved back to Lincolnton when I was in the second grade.  My favorite memories of growing up include attending football games for the Red Devils and watching the cheerleaders on the sidelines.  For the first time in six years, I focused more on the team tonight than the girls. 
     Jim was in the ninth grade when we moved back to Lincolnton and all he wanted to do was be a part of the team.  I can remember seeing him on the sidelines and hoping that he could get into the ballgame.  His heart for the Devils was strong... a lot stronger than his body.  I remember Coach Campbell being at our house one weekend after Jim graduated.  Jim had filled out and grown inches... he said it had a lot to do with extracurricular activites at night in college... anyway... Coach Campbell said he wished Mama and Daddy had held him back a year.  I was too little to realize the devotion my oldest brother had to the team and his love for the sport. 
     A few years later, weighing in at 85 pounds soaking wet, Guille became a part of the team.  He was so little, but he was so mean and fiesty.  He worked hard and sweated harder.  He was on the sidelines eagerly waiting to go in the ballgame.  When Guille played, I was in the band.  My best friend at the time, Connie, and I would watch the game and cheer harder than any of the cheerleaders.  I can't remember who we were playing, but I almost fainted when I saw Guille running on the field.  I was so nervous I couldn't watch!  I turned around and looked up in the sky and Connie would give me a play by play.  The entire stadium was worried that Guille was going to be hurt.  "Coarch" Campbell, as Boo-Ma said, would have never lived it down if the baby had been hurt.  Luckily, he never was. 
     Tonight, as I sat in the stands watching the game... I saw the heart of a Devil arise again.  Baby Thom was on the sideline wearing his daddy's number 10 and eagerly waiting to get into the game.  As we kept scoring, I knew that time was coming.  I saw him run out on the field and my stomach immediately went back to when Guille was out there.  Secretly, I wish that Ben could just stand on the sidelines and never go in... I don't want him to get hurt!  I thought the same thing about Thomas... please don't let them hurt him.  While the one play he ran wasn't something we want to put in the record books.... he can only get better from here.  He reminded me of my feelings for Jim and Guille... my heart is filled with joy that he is getting to experience this.  I am so proud that he is representing our family on that field.  I know Boo-Ma and Har were glad that "Coarch" put him in and gave him a shot. 
     I snapped this picture of him on the sidelines... he looks so much like Guille that it is scary.  For the next several years I am sure that when I say "Go BIG RED".... the voice of all those before me that would be so proud of him will be heard.  Way to go Baby Thom!  I can't believe you are big enough to be doing this!

No comments: