Sunday, August 18, 2013

I stole from the church....

But... I asked for forgiveness before I did it. 


     Many years ago the pastor of our church told anyone who was participating in The Lord's Supper for the first time to take the communion cup home with them.  It should be a reminder and something to keep forever.   I'm not sure that this pastor feels the same way, but I am glad that we have this. 
     I'm sad to say that I don't remember the first time I participated and I sure don't have the cup I used.  When I was growing up, we used real glasses... we use plastic now.  If you look closely, you can see that Ben's is already cracked.  I kind of think of our lives as that communion cup.  We know better, but we still do wrong.  No matter what though... God will watch over us, take care of us, and love us.  Even though this cup is cracked, Ben can still use it to drink out of if he holds it just the right way.  He will have to be careful of what he puts in it...if it drips on him... it might stain... he can't put hot things in it or it will melt... and he can only put small amounts at a time or it will spill... Our lives are like that... be careful what we put in them... don't do things that will stain us forever... and try not melt in situations where bad decisions were made. 
     I learned so much this morning.  I learned about the forgiving of sins and the confessing of sins.  I watched as Ben listened to the preacher... I watched his eyes grow with curiousity...and I watched his little hands grab the bread, eat the bread, hold the tiny cup, and drink the juice... What a great memory of him that is etched in my head forever.  I hope he remembers this day like I do.  May his excitement for this special time in church continue forever.  I'm pretty sure I'll remember this day and watching him participate every time we have The Lord's Supper from now on. 

No comments: