Saturday, January 10, 2015

It isn't Miracle Whip.... It's Miracle Mayonnaise

We moved back to Lincolnton when I was in the 2nd grade.... and my new best friends were Velda and Mayonnaise.  I spent more time with them than I did with my own family... they were the only ones I would spend the night with.... I can remember Sunday mornings getting ready for church and always watching an episode of Andy Griffith before we had to leave... they let me be their baby before Amberly came along... he taught me how to fish... he videoed everything I ever did.... good and bad.  He spent the morning of my wedding going around Lincolnton and filming all the important places in my life.  He was with me when I moved in each of my houses... He has driven my children back and forth from Greenville many times.... He can fix anything in the world...He tells me when to get new tires... Not to mention that he has been a fixture in my children's entire lives.  I can't even say all the things he has done for me.... He has been my neighbor at work for the last few years and he always comes by to check on me... I love when he says, "Can I see you for just a minute?".... I know that Ben has done something he shouldn't have and he is kindly guiding me... It's our kitchen talks... He lets me cry with him... he lets me be honest... and he loves me even when I don't do everything like he would have...

Thursday night.... I got to see a miracle unfold right before my eyes.... It was something that I will never take for granted... and something that I know God was right there....and a few angels.  Let me say that I am the first that calls people "quirky" when they say God was there...I couldn't have done it without Him, I know it was God's timing.... but in this case... it was....  call me "quirky" now.... it was a Miracle for Mayonnaise. 

I have no doubt that God put all the right people in the right place at the right time.  Let me begin by saying that our EMTs in Lincoln County are absolutely awesome.   I saw them working together.... to save a man's life who had no response.  They were so calm... they were calming to me.... they were angels... I saw two men standing there watching knowing that they would never forget anything that had just transpired.... I pray that they realize how important they were to help and do the right thing... I believe that the man who started CPR saved his life....  he kept the blood flowing until the EMTs could get there.... the young boy who called 911 was an angel as well....it was truly a miracle....

I have been to the emergency room at University Hospital so many times I can't even put a number.... but it's always been with my daddy... and now... the man who has served as my second daddy was heading there.... I hate everything that has happened with my daddy, but it prepared me for this visit.... I wasn't nervous about what to do when I got there... what I would see... or how we would handle being there.... I was overwhelmed when I turned onto Lillian Sims Drive and saw the emergency vehicles and people of support waiting on the helicopter to land... Velda and I had to leave before it landed and the ride to the hospital was the longest... Velda and I tried our best to hold it together... but I know her well... she needed to reflect and think...and to prepare herself for seeing him... I don't have a scanner anymore, but I'm so glad that some of the emergency workers in LC have wives who listen to them... I got a text message that opened my eyes to the miracle that was unfolding... "the patient says he is in no pain and we will be landing in 11 minutes"... to know that he could talk gave me such a peace....

The next hours are a blur... and I know without a doubt that me being at the hospital with Daddy so many times gave me the strength to get through all this... there were so many people there... so many text messages... and so many calls.... I held back all emotion except for the nervous shakes... I focused my memories on the good times... all our trips to the beach, all our Saturday morning breakfasts while waiting on Ben to get ready to spend the day with Mayonnaise... all the meals... all the fun.... when I finally saw him I was completely calm... I have never been so happy to see him in my life... he was talking... and he told me all about it... He told me that he remembered being on the phone... he remembered feeling like he was going to faint... and then he remembered waking up and thinking that all the people working on him were a dream.... I told him it was real.... His response was that he was sorry he was putting all these people through this and being a bother... that's our Mayonnaise... he doesn't want to be a nuisance to anyone.... even though I bother him all the time! 

After a heart cath yesterday and having a stint put in.... We should all change his name from Mayonnaise to Miracle Whip.... but I'm going to stick with Miracle Mayonnaise.... It's a miracle he is alive... and I am so happy!  Ben is already asking if Mayonnaise can come build him a shelf for his art table... and I am sure that KB wants him to let her drive some more.... while he is recovering... Ben will miss him in Sunday School...and I will miss him at work... and his visits at night... but I am so happy that we will have these opportunities to be him again... Mayonnaise... we love you!  It wasn't your turn... God ain't done with you yet! 

2 comments:

Jimmy Harmon said...

We used to play football with Mayonnaise every Sunday at the Football field in the 80's. He has been a great friend to me. God Bless You Mayonnaise.

Unknown said...

Mayonnaise is a good man and the Good Lord has more work for him here on earth. It wasnt his time. God bless you Marion!