Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Dinner of a Champion

First of all.. my heading should be "My Dinna"... When Daddy was growing up the lady who cooked for them would say, "Dinna Ready".  So... that has passed on to us and we say Dinna instead of Dinner... we do that with a lot of words... leave off the last consonant... and I want to get that just right!

Secondly, this was one of the writing topics for my teachers in their professional development class... I never knew how much Macy and I are alike until we sat for these few hours each week... I'm sure our grandmothers, who were "double first cousins" are sitting and smoking laughing at our similarities.  Macy and I like to eat... and there isn't much that makes a better night than a good meal and few laughs...

So... my dinna for the Champion's Dinner would be the following:

Everyone would enter to three appetizers...that's the rule... that's how many should be served when having company... I would want Rosalyn Carter's Cheese Ball with Jelly in the middle, Toasted Pecans, and Cheese Straws... (Mama, I know that is two cheeses, but it's my dinna)

For the first course of soup and salad... I would want Arizona Steakhouse in Greenville to make me Prime Rib Soup... and I want a salad from Outback that has the dressing hidden in the middle on a cold pewter plate with softer than normal croutons. 

The main course would be Sonji Aycock's prime rib (medium rare) that Mark has gotten pretty close to cooking... with a side of creamy horseradish, stuffed potatoes like those that White Columns used to serve, and a loaf of "brown bread" with flavored butter on a marble slab for me to eat until I couldn't eat anymore...

My desserts would be Mary's Japanese Fruit Cake, Mama's Chocolate Delight, Velda's Ooey Gooey Butter Cake, and just one of Laura's Lemon Squares that are really circles.  I know one should only have one dessert, but again, it's a dinner party... everyone doesn't want the same thing.  I always sample all desserts available... I wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings...

To drink... I would want Mark's grandmother's sweet tea that was as close to syrup as it could be...

As a party favor, I would want everyone to go home with a handful of party mix because just about every night I leave Mama's... I grab a handful as my snack...

I'm sure if I ate all this I couldn't get a ball off the tee the next morning, but I sure would need to walk the 18 holes at the Augusta National to get some of those calories off! 

December is the month of free eating... I am trying my best not to over indulge, but after writing this... I think I need to head to the kitchen for just a little snack...

What's your favorite? 

No comments: