Monday, April 3, 2017

Butch is like a cat... He has nine lives... for real!








The last time I wrote, we were waiting on Daddy to get over the flu.  Week two into his stay in the hospital, he had a colonoscopy.  There was a mass found on his colon, and he had to have surgery.  He had to wait a few days because he was still too weak from getting over the flu and prepping for the procedure.  The doctors removed the mass, and the pathology reports confirmed it was cancer.  We found out during week three of being in the hospital that it was a stage 2 and no treatment was necessary.  The following little blurbs contain all my thoughts in my prayer journal over the last few weeks.

1.  The doctors at MCG... (I know that's not the name, but if I still answer to Britt Mattison, then I can still call that hospital MCG...) are WONDERFUL.  I love that his cardiologist could look at him and tell something was wrong... He set all this in motion!  I love that the doctors spend a very long time talking to patients and family... and I can't leave out his nurses.  I can't imagine the stress they deal with on a daily basis.  They are right up there on my most admired list with teachers.  They put up with a lot of "you know"!  ;)

2.  I learned that my inability to take pain medicine doesn't come from just Mama.  It's Daddy... he is absolutely CRAZY when he takes something.  If I hadn't laughed, I would have cried.  One of the many crazy things he did was call me at work and tell me he had dropped his phone in the toilet and it didn't work.  Keep in mind that cell phones are a big no no in my school!  I asked him how he was calling me and he told me "on my phone".  I asked him which phone he dropped in the toilet... "my phone-- it doesn't work anymore... and I need you to call Jim and tell him to call me... I need to talk to him"... I asked him why he needed Jim and he said to tell him I don't have a phone that works.  I was laughing and he got mad.  He said he knew he was talking crazy and he couldn't help it.  I often thought he was playing with a tongue depressor because he was so thick-tongued!  No more pain meds for the cat!  He can't  handle them.

3.  All that really matters is family!  When faced with the reality of the C word, it kind of hits you in the chest.  The many people I have known to face illness were called immediately.  I'm sure I was a little "too much" in asking all my questions, but I sure did feel better after hearing all the people who had confidence that Daddy would be okay.

4.  I have never prayed so much in my life.  Each morning I write in my prayer journal asking God to place a hedge of protection around my family.  Honestly, I never prayed for Daddy to live... I never prayed for Daddy to be healed... I never prayed for him to grow to be 100.  My faith has taught me that God's plan is perfect.  He will take care of things... and he will take care of my family and me.  Last Saturday as we were visiting Daddy, he told us to look at the door and the woodwork.  He said it looked like Jesus looking at him.  It was Jesus... He was looking over you... because I asked him to do so.  I have to deal with another C word during all this too... CONTROL... I have no control over any of this... It's sinful to worry... I have to let it go... let it go.... let it go!

5.  Many have asked me if it's hard to be gone from Lincolnton with all this going on... honestly... it's not easy anywhere... I will say that it's been fun riding back and forth to the hospital with different people.  Last Sunday Jim, Guille, Mama, and I all went to see Daddy... the car just happened to pull into the S&S for a little "snack".  Jim hadn't been in years.  He and Guille went back this past week and stopped again.  It's just something about people being in the hospital in Augusta and having to stop at the S&S for a little comfort food.

6.  Daddy is improving... he has moved to the Washington hospital so he is closer to home.  He says he will be there in rehab for about three weeks.  I love that he is closer to home.  It's Spring Break for me, so I plan on running up and down the road several times this week to see him!  And... it's Masters week... poor thing... all Daddy wants is to be able to see a big screen tv to watch it!  I'm not sure that will happen!

7.  Thank you to everyone who has called, texted, facebooked, and prayed.  The prayers are working! He is getting better every day!   :)  Who knows... his wishes of being back on the golf course may come true... never doubt that a cat won't land on his feet when thrown!  Butchie is definitely a cat!  We joke and say he is going to outlive us all!  :)

No comments: