Monday, June 16, 2014

Father's Day 2014/ Day One of Clemson Basketball Camp



We spent Father’s Day away from home….. We left Lincolnton this morning before eight to make it to Clemson’s last day of high school camp.  Three Lincolnton boys, Thomas, Jack, and Jackson, came Friday to participate in Dabo’s camp.  This morning we watched them practice their drills and play a little Swinney ball before listening to some inspirational words.  My favorite part was Dabo talking about Father’s Day and whether you have a father or not... we all have a Heavenly Father that we can rely on…. Before he finished, I had to sneak out and take Ben and James to eat a little lunch before we dropped them off at basketball camp. I didn't get pictures of the boys together, but they looked tired and ready to sleep in their own beds.... and maybe take a shower!  :) 
We are finally in the hotel and settling down for the night…. It was a happy day to share with my family and see the experiences they are having.  This week will be tough for us because we are going in ten different directions… I will have a little homesickness feeling in my stomach and long to see my family…. For the next three nights… I am the cab driver…. For Ben and James… I’m giving Katie Britt to Christie to go up the road to Spartanburg to the USC FCA basketball camp…. Mark heads to Atlanta in the morning and then I swap with him Wednesday and I go to Atlanta! 
Last year Ben came to the football camp and loved every minute… I think this basketball camp might rate right up there with it…. We walked with the head coach back to the gym tonight and he was so nice.  His care for the children, his constant presence, and the smile on his face let me know that he truly loves what he is doing.  We are so lucky that Ben and James are in a group with just 45 other 4th and 5th graders…. They are divided into teams and there are only seconds that these two aren’t getting on the court and playing.  I highly recommend this to any little boys who love the game.  I would say we would come back next year, but we will probably try another sport just because we want to experience them all.  The following pictures are part of our day…. I think the biggest highlight of the day is that each child has to have a code word to be picked up… The answer is the name of the child’s favorite Clemson player… James picked Rod Hall… and of the twelve players… Rod is in our room with us…. James has been with him all day. 
It’s time to turn off the lights and get some rest…. These pictures are in order from this morning’s session at football camp… to the first day of basketball!  I pray these boys stay safe… and uninjured… and we all have a restful weekend to recuperate.  




































No comments: