Monday, June 16, 2014

Day Two: 2 seconds, vomit is gross, and hit the numbers

Today- the boys got up early and I dropped them off at Littlejohn about 8:45.  Mark, Christie, and KB had left about 8:15, so I was all alone... I came back to the hotel and ate breakfast, read the paper, did my devotional, and then decided to go walk.  I walked all around campus... I was reminded of the hateful hills that cause me to sweat in Clemson.... as I walked, I remembered many times and many things about this little small town.  I remembered the first game that Mark and I came to.... Clemson/ Georgia Tech.... Clemson kicked a field goal and won in the last seconds.... I was reminded of the Clemson/ Georgia game the year I got my ring.... I was reminded of all the games the Mitchells, the Sturkeys, and the McKinneys have been to....I thought about bringing Ben and KB for the first time to a game... I thought about seeing Carl and Helena Faulkner.... their wonderful tailgate...I thought about the many stops that Brad, Michelle, Mark, and I would make all over campus eating and drinking anything that was offered.... My children have been to the Esso... yes, a baby... in a bar.... so many memories.... and now... my children are making their own memories here.... I love it.



After I walked, I decided to go take some pictures of Ben and James in action.  When I got to the gym they were playing in, I could tell that the little boys were already in competitive mode.  I love watching them… and I am in awe at their energy…It’s amazing.  We had a fun time yesterday coming up with the names of the children… based on who they reminded us of… when I sat down today…. These boys were still playing the character.  As I watched one team of boys struggling with fouling and arguing with the coach who was referring, I heard tell the boys to come to the center of the court… He said, “I had one rule… Stay hydrated… and now I’m adding another one… the two second rule…. You can complain and disagree for two seconds after a call, but then move on….” .  I loved it… isn’t that great for them to learn?  And wouldn’t it be great if I could follow that rule too.  Imagine how different life would be if I got upset, complained about it for two seconds, and then was forced to move on… I’m going to try it.  This went hand in hand with something that Dabo said yesterday to the high school boys.  He told them complaining was like vomiting…. It makes the person feel better who is vomiting, but it is gross to everyone else.  How true is that?  I’ll be honest…there are certain people I ignore, I avoid, I forget to call back, and I try my best to turn their negative attitude into positive because they complain all the time.  I then thought about myself…. I’m not going to do it anymore!  No complaining….
The final thought today is that I am amazed at how much I didn’t know about basketball…. I have learned so much listening to these coaches tell the kids how to do things…. Mark says he already knew everything…. But I am realizing so many things I didn’t know… I think the realization has set in that I wasn’t as knowledgeable about basketball as I thought…. I cheered for four years for basketball, and in the past twenty years I have coached cheerleading at least fifteen years…. I loved cheering for basketball… how embarrassing to not know the rules… but I am learning! 
Daddy and Mark make fun of me when I make up new words for plays, positions, and situations in ballgames… for once…. I might be able to carry on a conversation with them instead of talking nonsense. "Hit the numbers.... the goal when you pass the ball... not to the side of the player... but to their chest"... that makes perfect sense to me..... 


 James and his team... with their coach....


 This is Ben's coach....







 It hurts my heart to think this baby may be using that bag one day as a student here. 










 For once... they both had a break at the same time! 
 This is my favorite picture of the entire day... I love him looking at Ben.... I love the smile on Ben's face... I'm sure they were talking about the crazy parent on the sideline taking pictures! 



No more complaining... and if I do... I only get two seconds.... and hit the numbers... make good passes.... and find the player who has the best shot! 

No comments: