Thursday, November 28, 2013

A little history, a little NYC, and a lot of laughing....

     It saddens me to think that one day the people who were part of my family growing up will never be remembered by my children.  I guess I never really thought about it until this week, but KB will never really know just how special my grandmother and her sister were to me and many others.  I have to start with a little background here because I realized many things this week... and one of them was the ladies I called "Boo-Ma" and "Ina" will be forgotten if I don't share their stories.

Boo-ma- my grandmother, I am named after her, I act like her, she drove me crazy, but I knew she loved me.... She loved a dirty word, a sip of Daddy's beer, a cigarette, and any juicy gossip she, Ina, Helen, and Verte could get.... She was a modern day Scarlett O'Hara... we had to go hook her bra on Sunday mornings for a dollar because Mary wasn't there to do it... she wasn't like the Webster's definition of grandmother... she never baked me cookies, bought me toys, or told me she loved me the best... She was honest, she paid Mary to bake our cookies, and she always bought me panties... At the time I couldn't appreciate her, but I boy do I miss her!  She was truly one of a kind. 

And then there was her sister....

Ina- She was cut from the same mold as Boo-ma... She wanted people to do for... she liked someone to cook for her, she liked someone to drive her around, and she loved for someone to take her shopping... Ina and I got along really well.... I can remember when I was 10 or 11 she drove up at Mama's and blew the horn... told me to come get in the car...and she took me to her house to wrap all her Christmas presents... She bought me two hot dogs from the dime store and gave me $10 dollars for the days work... I was thrilled.... I also was elected to drive her to the doctor in Augusta many times... most of the time... we would go to the doctor, go eat, and come straight home...even though we had planned to go shopping... we liked to eat and come home and rest... When Ward died, I spent every night with her for about a month in that big house with the doors locked, then the bedroom door locked, and a phone ready to call 911.... I feel sure she didn't sleep a wink!  I was a junior in high school at the time. 
Our family spent Thanksgiving at Ina's and Christmas Eve there every year... When Ward came along... she would babysit him, but wouldn't do it unless I could be there too.  When Valerie was so sick... I remember her holding my arm and telling me to please go stay the night with her in Augusta... She couldn't bear to see her in pain.  There are so many  memories of her, but my favorite... is the last time I saw her... We were taking the children to Santa at the mall and Velda and I ran to see her at the hospital... She had been unresponsive for the days before and when we walked in the room she was talking, she was smiling, and she was making more sense than she ever had before... She was at peace and I thought she would live for days.... that Saturday morning she died... but I know she pepped up for my visit and I will always remember that! 

And now... our trip to NYC!!!  Back in September, I started checking out deals for NYC... I wanted to take KB to see the Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall... I think as a mama... I should make all her dreams come true.... Mark told me I could take her if I found someone else to go with us... I wanted it to be a surprise... as we sat down in church, I whispered to Fran and asked if she and Caroline would like to go... she told me yes... and I started planning... We ended up telling the girls early to prepare Caroline for the flight... I have to laugh... Caroline was a baby when I got married and we moved away from Lincolnton... I wasn't a part of her life and didn't really know her real personality until this week... She cheered for me for three years, but that is on a totally different level of knowing someone... I have cried laughing at her this week... She and I are cut from the same mold... and that is how Boo-ma and Ina fit in this story... I think Caroline and I are really Ina and Boo-ma now! We both need princess crowns to wear all the time... we like to be catered to... we like to be honest... and we love a good meal!!! 

After working two hours to delete  and add pictures...these pictures are crazy out of order... But... I will try to tell the stories of each one... I hope KB and Caroline will forever remember this trip and laughs we had.... #makinmomemories

 The main purpose of the trip was to take KB to see the Rockettes... They were wonderful... I could go see them every year!  I have the honor of giving Caroline her first graduation gift... KB and I gave her a ticket to see them too! 
 This is part of the live nativity scene... BEAUTIFUL... so moving.... and I LOVE the fact that this show ends with the birth of Christ... as people in the industry move to the far left side to be politically correct... this show has not done that!  Good job!
 This is KB on top of the Empire State Building... the story here is this... I have never been to this attraction... I don't like heights... it makes my legs and knees feel funny and my heart sink... I was a nervous wreck... As we climbed the 80 floors in the elevator I felt like I was going to have a panic attack... Fran, Caroline, and KB were laughing at me and thought I was crazy... I think they are crazy... and then they made me go outside... It was beautiful...
 View from ESB.
 View shooting down....
 Then we headed up to the 102nd floor... Oh my goodness... words can't describe it.


 When we got finished, we headed to Macys to see the preparation for the Thanksgiving Day parade... We were able to watch Jimmy Fallon and the Sesame Street gang perform..... We heard Carrie Underwood was there, but we were hungry and left... this was about nine o'clock on Monday night... I didn't realize they practiced all week for it! 



 I also decided to be brave and ride the Subway for the first time without Mark... We did a great job and we were not afraid at all....
 This is the opening scene to Annie... all of us loved the play and watched amazed at the talent these children had! 
 After Annie... we headed to Bubba Gump's to eat... they let us have a window seat because of our southern accent...
 This is leaving NYC on Wednesday...


 We were only delayed an hour on the busiest travel day of the year... The plane was there... the people were there... but there was no crew....
 and this is the last picture of KB's....
 Now back to the beginning of the story... We left Lincolnton Saturday afternoon after KB's basketball game... Harrison and Cole Baby were texting ready for us to leave... We went to eat at Mimi's cafe and then headed to mall for a little shopping... We checked in to the Embassy Suites and enjoyed laughing at pictures on facebook...
 Our first stop after putting on warm clothes was John's Pizzeria.... They were decorated for Christmas and the food was delicious.... We couldn't resist making the girls pose for photos!
 The beginning of many smiles during the tirp...


 John's is inside an old church... It is beautiful scenery and delicious food... Boo-ma and Ina would have approved  because our entire family knows that you judge a good time by how good the food is...
 KB waiting on her food....


 After our meal, Fran and Caroline decided they didn't have on enough clothes...they needed hats and scarves.... It was the coldest they have ever been!!! 
 After gearing up for a cold hop on hop off tour, we met our guide Chauko... he was GREAT!  I had a hard time understanding him, but he knew a little about everything... At the end of the tour he asked us what could make it better... the only thing we could think of was a heater!!! 
 KB loves Seinfield... she gets it from her Daddy...
 This is where John Lennon was shot...


 We nearly froze to death, so we decided to get off the bus at The Plaza and have hot chocolate and coffee.... Jane loves Eloise at Christmastime... So we reinacting... "KB at Christmastime"
 The things I thought we would only do for a few minutes ended up lasting a long time... We went in FAO Schwarz and these girls LOVED looking at all the toys... They also liked the guard at the front door...
 On our way back to the hotel we stopped by St. Patrick's Cathedral... we lit candles... I thanked God for letting us arrive safely in NYC with no scary airplane rides... the entire time we were planning the trip Marcus was afraid of Fran and Caroline flying... I kept telling him that the cab rides were where he should focus his worry... I was right... the ride from the airport to the hotel was one of the worst I have ever had... the man was out of control... I felt like I was riding with Jeff Gordon.. . minus the wrecks....
 Caroline lighting a candle...
 We stopped  by Rockefeller Plaza also... This is overlooking the ice-skating rink....
 We were frozen!
 Then we ended up in Times Square...




 After Aleve and a good night's rest... we headed out again for a day of touring...



 And now the story of Gossip Girl... I have never heard of this show before, but Caroline wants to be Blaire... and Fran is "Dorito"... I know she has another name, but we use Dorito...this Kate Spade made us start talking about Blaire... and we all decided we need a Dorito to help us everyday...
 Hop on Hop off...
 COLD.....
 We ate lunch before dessert, but my pictures are out of order.... this was right before the Rockettes... we had apple pie....
 red velvet cupcake.....
 Chocolate cake... and french fries.... needless to say... I am going to start a cleanse Friday after I eat Thanksgiving lunch! 
 Chandelier in Radio City Music Hall...
 KB at the Rockettes!

 After the Rockettes is when we decided to go to Empire State Building... I DID NOT like the build up to this.... for once...Fran was leading this trip... I was so scared! 
 At the top! 

 This is Jimmy Fallon... I am such a great picture taker...
 Outside Macy's watching rehearsals....
 What we see on tv during parade....
 These girls BELIEVE their mamas are the BEST!!!
 The Power Rangers practicing... now Ben would have enjoyed this... us... not so much! 
 The Empire State Building turning Christmas colors!
 NYPD love to have their pictures taken... even let these two behind the gates with them! 
 Freedom Tower
 On the way to Statue of Liberty...
 So.... So... cold... snow and ice falling on us! 



 This was another one of those laugh until we can't stop times.... At the bottom of the statue the sign said we could walk the steps and be at the pedestal in five minutes or take the elevator and be there in ten... we decided to walk the steps... Oh my goodness... as we walked up the steps I slowly removed layer after layer... I was sweating so bad!  It was awful.... I am out of shape... the steps are not for me!!!  KB and Caroline were way ahead of Fran and me. 


 Can you see the pain on my face from walking so far???? 




 We rode the subway back to Times Square and went to M & M world... and that is all from my camera... Now to my cell phone pictures...
 This is Sunday  morning in the airport... Caroline got pulled for a full security check because her sweater had gold on it... she got the full rub down.... these two right here were nervous wrecks... they flew for the first time and did great...I giggled at their nerves because I used to be the same way! 
 Getting ready to take off and powering down! 
 John's Pizzeria... pizza rolls... we ate here twice while we were in the city.... these are delicious...
 our pizza.... so, so good....
 Lego of Statue of Liberty in FAO Schwarz....
 No trip is complete without a visit to Juniors for cheesecake... we went there twice too... KB had a little midnight snack... and then she ate it for breakfast too! 

 Monday we ate at Mario Batali's Eataly... My pasta was delicious....
 shot of all three desserts at Bill's bar outside Radio City Music Hall...
 Riding the subway....
 These two eat like grown men... we ate breakfast... rode the subway downtown... and when we got off...they wanted a hot dog.... Caroline got hers...and then KB got one... as she was about to take her first bite, out of nowhere a seagull came and took it out of her mouth.... it brought about fifteen other friends and scared us half to death... the NYPD witnessed it and sat in his car laughing and laughing... the hot dog vendor said, "I forgot to tell you to be careful of the birds"... needless to say we paid for another hot dog and she covered it while she ate it! 
 Back on the Subway....
 I wanted to go to GMA, but it was too early for me to go... the next time I am going to go !!! 
 This is KB and me on the flight ready to come home! 
 This was our nice little note when we returned telling me that the cat was lost... As soon as I opened the front door and called for her she came back... our tree is up.... with a few ornaments... the clothes are washing...and I am about to stuff my face once again...

It was a great trip.... and I know that Boo-ma and Ina enjoyed laughing at us the entire time...

The best story to me happened as we were leaving LGA.... I was in line first for security...then KB...and then Caroline.... I was getting ready to push my luggage through and I hear the biggest commotion.... I look back to see Caroline in the buckets with her feet up in the air.... as she was taking her boot off she lost her balance... the look on her face was priceless.... we laughed until we cried and the security guy couldn't even look at us with a straight face.... I expect the video to show up one day on a tv show.... it could make money... I am sure!

Thanks Fran and Caroline for a great memory making trip!  We loved it and can't wait to go back again! 





No comments: