Thursday, September 5, 2013

Football Memory Lane

     I feel sure the story I am about to write would be grounds for suspension with today's school rules... but back in 1986... I'm not sure anyone really cared.  
     It all started with a pep rally on Friday afternoon in the LCHS gym.  Back in the good ole' days... we had pep rallies every week.  The student body entered the gym and we screamed and yelled to tops of our lungs... there were signs and posters and bells and anything else that would make noise.  The students dressed up in red devil attire and there was never any problem getting the student body pumped up!  The cheerleaders didn't really have to do anything except yell...and everyone would participate!  Well... this particular Friday, we were all pumped up from the pep rally for the LC vs. WW game... With our extra energy, we made a plan! 
     Some of my friends and I decided it would be fun to ride to WW and circle through Hardees and the town square to see how things were doing up there... By the time we actually arrived in WW, we had decided that it would be an even better idea to hang out the window and scream and yell things like "Lincoln County......might Devils...." and "Go Big Red".... and "We're number 1".... I think the final straw was the idea to use my pom poms to shake at people as we drove by.  Never once during all this planning did it cross my mind that my mama and daddy might see me in all this hoopla... they had an office on the square...with large windows in the front. 
     I can honestly say that this was one time that the spirit of the DEVILS took over my body.... I yelled, screamed, and became quite obnoxious as we rode around the square with the hatchback up and hung out shaking pom poms and screaming!  It fired us up.... and I am sure the people who were casually walking the streets were in complete shock at first...and then angry at us invading their turf! 
     I'm not sure my mama and daddy ever knew I was in the car with those girls... or if they knew it was better to just overlook the matter... but I remember going by their office and seeing their faces in the window. 
     I wonder if kids today think of things like this... I would never encourage them to do this because back then we didn't have people who loved to shoot a gun, "cut" somebody, or call the police for this kind of craziness, but as I sit here tonight... I sure think it would be fun to jump in the car after school tomorrow and grab some pom poms... a cowbell... and a horn.... and just ride to WW... I would never condone hanging out of the car or yelling or shaking red and white in the tigers' faces, but it sure would be fun!  I miss those good ole days! 
     Good luck Red Devils... and I hope the spirit of the Devils doesn't take over anyone tomorrow afternoon like it did me almost thirty years ago... but if it does... Call ME... I want to ride with ya'll!  :) 

No comments: