Tuesday, June 11, 2013

A little Tiger Jacks, a little hard work, and a lot of Orange!




Little boys often dream really, really big.  In my twenty years of teaching, there has never been a year that goes by that I don’t hear “I’m gonna play football!”… to myself, I think…yeah- right… I always tell them to have a plan B!  This weekend Ben had the opportunity to go to Clemson University for football camp.  It served boys from 2nd grade to 7th grade.  As a mama, I was a little hesitant… he is my baby, he is not big enough to go do what those big boys do.  Boy did he show me…I am glad my baby dreams big too!

 As I spent the weekend at home working on graduate work, I loved the numerous phone calls from Mark telling me how well he was doing, how much fun he was having, and how hard he was working.  I know he is a little fellow, but his heart is big…and he is a fighter!  As I looked over the pictures, I thought a video with music might be more appropriate for this “Makingmomemoriesmoment”.
       






 
        Dear Ben,
        I’m so proud of how hard you worked at camp this weekend.  I picked a few songs that I think are fitting for this moment! 
“The Dance” because I want you to always know that life is going to be hard…but if you keep fighting and keep trying…it will be worth it in the end!  You will look back on these days and be so glad you did this!
        “I Hope You Dance” … this sounds like a girl song, but you know… it is so true in life… if you take those chances…go somewhere where no one knows you… be different… try something before you knock it… you will have a great life… and always remember that it won’t always be easy… but I do hope you always dance! 
        “Don’t Blink”… As I write this and you are on the floor beside me… I look at these pictures and you and this team that you knew no one on working together to make a memory that you will never forget…. These memories will go by so quickly… and although I wish you had been on the “shirts” team instead of the “skins” team…. I still think this was a great experience!  I’m so sorry I missed this weekend of your life… I know you played your heart out… and I know that you have the bug to love any sporting event. 
        “John Deere Greene”-  Right when this song comes on...the little boy in the blue shirt has a daddy (Edward Luckey) who grew up with your daddy…. The man speaking, (Brian Tillotson) who gave his testimony, worked with Daddy in Greenville… and on this second day… you can see that ya’ll were still as on fire for the game as the first day.  When I think of you… I think of a boy driving a tractor… playing with trucks… and now playing on a football field with Tajh!  I’m so happy for your new friends… Ethan, Tebow, and Primetime! 
        The last song is “I’m Gonna Be Somebody”… that is your choice in life …I think the most important element of this camp wasn’t the football techniques, but the testimonies by players, coaches, and former members of the Clemson team… each had a message for you and through all of it… I do hope that you will remember that God is first… I’m so excited about your decision to ask Jesus in your heart last week… I’m so excited that you are a hard worker… and I am so excited that you have the work ethic to “be somebody” if you want to!  ]
        Keep working hard, be careful choosing your role models, and use your head!  Mama loves you little one…. And by the way… congratulations to your team!  I know your little heart was beating so hard playing in front of the entire camp…. I know the championship trophy will forever be special!  

No comments: