Thursday, April 26, 2012

Wow...Things Sure Have Changed....

     Tonight was one of those rare nights...the kind that supper was served at 6:00... I had time to do all my "chores" before we ate...and we had "family time" after we ate.  Tonight... KB and Ben chose to play Monopoly.
     When I was little, I loved to play monopoly.  Guille and I always played in the den floor... Mama and Daddy would be at work, and we would watch television and play.  He taught me everything I ever needed to know about the game.  He taught me to always check the banker... He was the banker, but he cheated every chance he got.  He taught me to always read the fine lines on the card.  Somehow he always got to buy houses when he didn't own all the properties of the group, but I ended up having to have all the colors in a group before I could buy.  He taught me how to negotiate... He let me know that charging him just a little over what I paid for it was the "nice" thing to do.  I am not sure I ever won a game of monopoly...heck we may not have even finished it.  Honestly though, I think I just remember the "fun" we had growing up and him babysitting me in the summer... he was so nice to let me make his bed up, cook his lunch, and get him a refill of sweet tea when he needed it. 
     As we got ready to play tonight's game, I never dreamed how much one thing could change... the tokens now are cellphones and cheeseburgers... the money...there is none... there is an electronic calculator and can you believe that you get 2 million dollars just for passing go?  Properties now are outrageous and instead of waterworks and the power company... you can get internet service and cell phone service.  With all those changes though... one thing stays the same... CHEATERS will always be at a round of monopoly. 
     It's funny how God prepares you all your life for the rest of your life... all those summer days with Guille taught me to be on guard for those that try to "swindle" your money... I can catch someone in a heartbeat!  Ask my students... they know I know when they are cheating immediately!  God prepared me for living with Mark... he tried every turn he got to cheat... He would "accidently" put his card in the plus side instead of the minus side... he would accidently put a hotel on the board instead of a house... and he would accidently count just enough spaces that he didn't have to pay rent.  I'm wondering if I am the only one who is so lucky to play with people like Mark and Guille... It is kind of ironic... the three of us... ending up in the jobs we have... Guille...a banker... Mark... a salesman... and me... a teacher... We began learning our skills early... and we are still using them.  I have big dreams for my babies... I hope they are learning early to watch out for those around them... even their friends and family!  :)

No comments: