Sunday, December 1, 2019

#belikejoseph








For the first time ever, I have my house decorated for Christmas, the outside decorations are put up (minus the spotlight), and there are already a few presents purchased!  The negative Britt is saying, "Something must be going to happen that you need to have all these things in order!".... and my chest gets heavy.  Anxiety... I try to not get "tight" about things, but sometimes it just happens.

As I sit here this first day of December, I am quickly reminded the only thing that really matters is the story of Christmas.  I need a focus daily... so I made a plan... I always have a good plan... and my plan this month is to choose a character from the Christmas story, research the character, and write about the character.  What good are the decorations, the presents, the hoopla if I don't have the real meaning of Christmas in my heart!  My prayer is my plan works.  I want to share my findings with those who read my blog.  I'm also curious to know what else you know about the characters that I might not have mentioned.

Today I'll start with Joseph.

He is identified as the husband of Mary, mother of Jesus.  Luke tells us Joseph was a descendant of David.  Joseph was pledged to be married to Mary, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit.  Matthew tells us that Joseph was faithful to the law and didn't want to disgrace her, so he would divorce her quietly.  An angel came to Joseph in a dream and told him not to be afraid because what was in her had been conceived by the Holy Spirit.  The angel told Joseph the baby would be a boy, to name him Jesus, and he will save his people from their sins.  He believed what the angel said and did as he was told.   Luke explains that Joseph and Mary headed to Bethlehem for the census.  Joseph and Mary are found by the shepherds with Jesus placed in a manger because there was no room in the inn.  Luke also informs us Mary and Joseph took Jesus to the temple to follow the required Law of Moses to present Jesus to the temple.   While there, they meet Simeon and Anna who say great things about Jesus.  (More on them later)  Mary and Joseph returned to Galilee after they have done everything required by law.  John mentions Joseph in his gospel and calls the Son of God Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.

After the Magi had visited Jesus and brought him gifts, an angel appeared again to Joseph and told him to escape to Egypt because Herod would search for Jesus and kill him.  Years later, Herod died and an angel appeared again to tell Joseph it was safe to go back to Israel.  He heard of other cruel leaders and decided to take a turn to Nazareth.

Joseph was probably looked at from the town as crazy.  His family probably looked at him like he had lost his mind.  His friends most likely joked around and told him how stupid he was to marry Mary... a young girl who was pregnant... and it wasn't his baby.  I don't know any of this for sure, but I can imagine that this took place.  We can all imagine things... and how Joseph must have felt.  Instead of "imagining" I'd like to talk about what I know for sure.

Joseph did what God told him no matter how crazy or unrealistic it sounded.  He did the right thing by marrying Mary even though she was pregnant.  He followed God's directions when he was told to leave Israel and head to Egypt, and he even decided to take a detour when he was headed back to Israel.  And that.... that is what is important about Joseph.

Joseph had a list of bad things happen to him:
1.  He was supposed to marry someone who looked to be unfaithful to him.
2.  He had to take a "very" pregnant woman to Bethlehem for a census when she probably shouldn't have been traveling. 
3.  He had nowhere for his wife to have a baby who was supposed to be very special!
4.  Shepherds and wisemen visited his child and special people at the temple recognized just how marvelous this "Jesus" was... but did Joseph really understand just how special Jesus was?
5.  He was visited by angels who told him to do some pretty crazy things (Marry this pregnant girl, leave Israel, return to Israel)
6.  He detoured to Nazareth instead of being back in his hometown because of what he heard.
7.  He followed the Lord's directions, but he never received any recognition.

What I learn from Joseph... is bad things happen for a reason.  As I look at his life, I see everything that happened in Joseph's life happened for me to be saved.   The prophets from the Old Testament foretold of all this!  Have you ever really thought about the "what ifs".... what if Joseph had refused to follow the Lord's direction?  Where would I be?

As you go through the holiday season... remember when the bad things happen (not if, but when because they will)... be like Joseph.  Do the right thing, take the long road even when it is a struggle, take where you are and grow,  when you feel the Holy Spirit nudging you to do something you know sounds crazy... do it... and remember that your plan isn't God's plan.... he may make you go on a detour... and it will be a beautiful blessing and an important chapter in your life.... and most importantly, you may never be recognized for what you do.  But your story is perfect for God's purpose.  Be like Joseph and do what God leads you to do... follow His direction!

No comments: