Friday, December 6, 2019

#belikeelizabeth

Image result for secrets

Yes, another character who isn't in the manger scenes we have around our houses.... but she is so important too.... and we learn so much from her story as well. 

Elizabeth was a descendant of Aaron, Moses's brother, and she was married to Zechariah.  The Bible describes her as being righteous in the sight of God and she followed his commands and decrees.  It also tells us she was childless "unable to conceive".  She was also characterized as old.  You know the rest of her story with Zechariah being approached by the angel in the temple and being told of a baby to come.  Elizabeth becomes pregnant and remains in seclusion for five months.  During the sixth month, Gabriel, the angel, visits Mary and tells her of Elizabeth's pregnancy.  Mary immediately goes to visit and when she enters the home Elizabeth's baby jumps in her womb.  These women were both part of a miraculous story that only they knew about!  Elizabeth's baby is born and they name him John instead of being named after his father.  Zechariah and Elizabeth followed God's direction and named their son John. 

Men and women both would be crazy not to see that the first thing to notice about Elizabeth is her characteristic of being righteous in the sight of God and following his decrees and commands.  I fall short of this every day, and I doubt anyone says those things about me.  I do know people I look up to who do the right thing always, and I can't think of a better compliment for anyone than to have this said about them.  The picture above is what I strive NOT to be like.... I try to improve on that each day!  Be like Elizabeth and #dotherightthing

Another crazy thing to me is Elizabeth staying in seclusion for five months.  I can't imagine not being out of my house for that long.  I'm not going to lie that some days I would love to be told I can't go anywhere, but I don't think I can  make it five months... or even five days for that matter!  I do imagine that Elizabeth spent time talking to God in those months... thanking him, praising him, and probably questioning him about everything going on in her life.  She didn't have a radio, television, or telephone to distract her from her time with him.  Maybe if I spent more time with Him without distractions I'd understand things better!  Be like Elizabeth and #spendtimewithGoddaily

There is not doubt in my mind that when Mary walked through the door and John jumped in Elizabeth's womb that these women were giddy with excitement.  I imagine it to be like when I see some of my high school girlfriends and we talk and laugh and cry and laugh some more... we laugh until the tears run down our legs!  Isn't it great they experienced this together?  Just think... no one would have expected the two mothers to know each other... and the two sons to be born around the same time... and for both of them to be such important parts of the Christian lifestyle.  Be like Elizabeth and #rejoiceinGod'stimingforeverything

Finally, I think it is important for us to notice God gave direct instructions for the name of the child.  It was odd to the people there with Elizabeth and Zechariah, but they believed because of the miracle they had seen.  Even when things don't seem like they make sense to you... some people are doing things God has led them to do.  It may not be the way you would have done it, or the way you want it done... but accept it and move on with your life.  Be like Elizabeth and #followGod'scommands

Elizabeth and Zechariah have a son who leads the way for Jesus.  I'm sure they never dreamed of that when they were wishing for a baby.  The timing had to be just right. The prophets had told of all of this!  I need to remember God's plan all the time! 

No comments: