Monday, May 7, 2018

From this to that...


Dear Boo, 
     I should probably be scrubbing dust off my legs after following you 18 holes, but I wanted to write to you while it's fresh on my mind.  I found these pictures yesterday while searching for Sis's graduation party pictures and felt like I was hit right square in the chest.  I look at the two of you and think that these pictures were just taken.  Life was difficult with you then... I will put you at the top of the list of being the most hard-headed person I've ever dealt with in my life.  You are a perfect mixture of Daddy and me!  Somehow that determination and stubbornness has now proved to be a plus for you.  You don't give up too easily, and you still frustrate me beyond explanation.   


I think you are precious in this golf smocked outfit with that pi-pi and Gator, and I would go back to those days if I could! I'm thinking the entire golf team would look cute in a Jon-Jon.  There was no reasoning with you then, and there was never any way to do anything except your way.  No matter what we said, what we bribed you with, or what we told you was best... you did it your way!  Today, I watched you struggle mentally with golf shots that frustrated you, made you mad, and made you act like a "McKinney".   (that's what Butchie would have said) You are STILL doing things your way...  


You've come a long way from playing in the yard in your wife-beater, jeans, and boots to getting to play in an Upper State Championship.  Your score didn't count toward the team's, but as I used to tell my guys I coached... "Just beat the boys you play with and you'll be fine".  You did that... and for that I'm thankful that you were able to score well enough on a course you've played only once to beat those other boys.  And by Butch's terms... you broke 90... so you still get to play!  I see this picture and my heart hurts that you are growing up, but I know that's selfish.  I thank God every day that you are who you are, that you are fortunate in many areas, and that you are with me.  



As you head out next week to play for a state championship, I pray that you will take a little bit of that hard-headed attitude and a little bit of Butch's "leave that shot on the last d@#* hole and forget it" attitude to try to beat your personal best score... Remember that no matter what you shoot... I love you... I'm proud of you... and I know how lucky you are to get to be a part of this team.   One day you are going to look back at this team of eight and one coach and think "Wow, we were good... not just on the course... not just in the classroom... but with each other"!  You are one blessed little boy... in so many ways.  I'm thankful to get to watch you on your good and bad days!  

Love you Boo, 

Mama

No comments: