Tuesday, May 15, 2018

AAA State Championship 2018

We got third place~ and that's about all I have to say about that.  

But what I do want to talk about is relationships!  I have faith and confidence to know that one day great things are going to happen for this very young team.  As I walked around the golf course yesterday and today, I began to see just how important all these boys and one man are to each other.  I also realized the love of families sitting around each other~ laughing and crying together... and most importantly, praying together for all our sweet boys.

I can't begin to tell you the memories that have been made this golf season.  Ben will realize one day just how lucky he is to have been a part of this special group. 

The beauty of the game of golf is that these boys can still play together for the rest of their lives.... it's one of those sports that doesn't stop when you don't have a team in high school or college anymore... they've also enjoyed playing with their daddies this season as "chaperones".... 
 This is how we felt after a long 18 holes of golf yesterday... Hot, tired, sweaty, and not wanting to take a picture!  

Mark sent me two videos and a message... the first tee shot for Ben in a state tournament, his first putt... and a message from my daddy!  Daddy was famous for his little sayings on the course... I'm so thankful for his time with Mark and for Mark's memory like an elephant to say these things to Ben... I'm not real sure why I miss daddy all the time because Lord knows Ben is like him in so many ways... Life goes on and it's my job as a mama to smile and make memories with my children to make them smile too!  









 They think alike... all the time. 
 A sister who took another AP exam this morning, but she wanted to be at the course for the end.  


 I added these pictures from yesterday in to just remember the rolling hills and valleys that these boys were asked to play!  















 The best part of the day is the 18th hole... hats off, shake hands, and then we are done!  We came home last night, got a good night's rest, and headed back today for round 2.  Ben didn't have to play today.  He and Gage swapped.  While most would be sad, I enjoyed the time my family of four had sitting on a tee box watching players come through holes and cheering them on.... the longer we sat... the more people we had.  Oh what a fun day was today!  
 Gage coming in on 17.  He battled out there today.  Being a 7th grader and playing in a state tournament is a huge accomplishment.  He and Ben are more like brothers, and I love that they have a fire in them to win!  
 Mark and Ben joined Sis and me on the tee box.  


 Chase checking out his putt on 17 green. 
 There is always a clown in the group... 
 "Yarbs"... the only senior on the team.... very emotional day for him.... 
 As he walked to the 18th tee box, I joined him in tears because I couldn't help but feel those emotions of knowing this was the last hole of high school golf for him!  
 Ken... always smiling... always honest... and always pulling for all our boys! 
 Trey played great this week and earned an All-State medal.... a freshman on our team... I'm expecting great things from him. 
 Nonna decided to join Ken on the hill! 


 Coach Morris was nice enough to join us.... we appreciate everything he has done for our golf team.  He did an awesome job his first year as Athletic Director for us!  


 A few daddies deciding where to eat... no, they were probably discussing shots from ten or eleven holes back... I do good to remember the last shot hit!
 Daniel is also a freshman and made All-State.  




 We couldn't be happier to be a part of this "VILLAGE".... we have been blessed to be surrounded by all these families who treat all the children like their own... we often threaten to swap children to make them behave.  And we thought we were moving here to help with KB's college tuition... shucks.... we are experiencing things we never imagined with this great group!  






 Blake - 7th grader
 David - senior
 Cooper- 8th grader
 Gage- 7th grader and Trey - Freshman 
 Gage and Trey also had both sets of grandparents to watch! 

 Chase- a Freshman
 These two... don't get close to them on the golf course because they cause us to be too loud... laughing at their silliness!  




      Daniel - a Freshman








These two should be SO proud for making All-State!  


 The entire golf team in front of the scores! 
 This man here will never truly know the influence he has had on our boys.... we couldn't ask for a better person to lead, guide, and direct them on the course and life!  
 Ben and Coach Craig... and a note that will forever be kept in this home because it is SO TRUE!  If my daddy were here, he would say the same thing this note does!   Coach Craig hasn't known Ben long, but he knows what he needs to hear! It's also a saying that Mark loves to tell him.... 



















 Spartanburg County is VERY talented.... At the state match, we had four of the ALL - State  players in our region.  The one with the medal around his neck will be attending Clemson in the fall on a golf scholarship.  I'm so proud of those two freshmen standing beside him.  




 And then when we found out we got third of the 16 participating teams, I may have shed a few tears... and gotten choked up... but these boys do love their mamas.... and they don't mind smiling for just one more picture! 






And this year... Ben's nickname by his coach and teammates has been Sis.... so we got one of them too!  



This season is over... but I know these boys will come back battling for that trophy next year.  As I'm typing this blog, Ben is already digging out clubs to sell and get something else.  Summer golf is a few weeks away, and while I know I will be hot, tired, and sweaty on Mondays... I also know that there is nothing that gives me more joy than watching my children do something they love.  

No matter if they win or lose... there is no doubt that these boys are loved beyond words.  The families, friends, and fellowship have been great for our family.  I thank God each day for where we are in this season of our life.  For once, I'm sitting back and enjoying every minute.  


No comments: