Monday, December 16, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things....


 I rushed in from work one Monday afternoon and saw the answering machine blinking... I clicked on the button and heard my preacher's voice asking if I would light the advent candle at church Christmas Eve and tell of my Christmas traditions.  I really didn't think anything of it... until I started thinking... I sat in the bathroom for about three hours writing what I wanted to say... my speech only lasted about three minutes... I talked about how Christmases for my family were always different... we didn't have any real traditions except for the fact that we were always in Lincolnton, I was always at Lincolnton Baptist, and I always had Mary's Japanese fruitcake for dessert... the story is much longer than this little paragraph, but I will tell it later... I was a blubbering mess that Sunday at church... I cried and cried because I realized that it was my last Christmas at home before I was going to marry.  As I look around my house, I see many things that have stories... I want my children to know about these things and let these memories continue forever and ever. 



This first picture makes my heart smile so big.  I came home from class one night a few weeks ago and Ben was decorating this tree with his John Deere ornaments, tractors, and lights.  The tree skirt just topped it off... yes, I am letting my nine year old have this tree in my dining room... along with that long extension cord shining for everyone to see... Does it go with the decor of the room?  No, but who cares... he loves it and so do I!  He and Mayonnaise built the little stool to sit and look at the tree too...he is so thoughtful! 

 This next Department 56 white figurine was in my bedroom on the dresser for as long as I can remember... Never in a million years did I know that one day it would get to sit at my house depicting the two children I have... They love to get lost in a book when they are sitting around the house...
 This church makes me laugh every year when I put it out... I worked at the bank during the summer and Christmas for five years.  I was fortunate in being asked to the bank Christmas party... each year there were great door prizes given out while playing Bingo... I was so excited because this was the best prize for the year!  I love it... I think it keeps me focused during the season and the light is always on! 
 This next tree skirt is one of my most prized possessions.  When I was four or five I was asked to be the flower girl in Johnny and Laura's wedding... from that moment on, she has always been special to me.  She has the biggest heart and goes above and beyond in including my family and me in all her wonderful gifts.... Her mama, "Laura's Mama" made this cross-stitched tree skirt for Katie Britt when she was born... I'm not sure if I will ever be able to part with it... I don't think KB will ever know how special she was, but hopefully she can see the love in the detailed work of this skirt. 
 This is my favorite part ... the 26th... I feel like Santa on that day.... ready to be in my pajamas and head to bed! 
 The elves... When KB started Pre-K in Woodruff I heard about all these little children having elves... I laughed and thought it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen... no one in Lincolnton had them and I didn't think it would catch on... She was invited to a party for the elves so I had to break down and invite one to our house.... at the party, she got HO HO... and he has become Ben's elf... His is nothing like all the others people have, but he doesn't care... His is special... He has had several surgeries and operations due to falling apart.  You can bet when my babies have babies of their own that these little elves will once again become magical and special again!  The elves have spread like wildfire and I love when they arrive!
 I am being nominated for hoarders of elves... I'm not sure why, but .....
 This is my original stocking from 1971.  I am so glad that Ms. LG's granddaughter learned to knit the stockings and carry on the tradition... My children have them now too! 
 Pictures with Santa... may you never be too old to sit in his lap! 

 I was spoiled as a child... and I guess I am now too... But... this nativity is an example of spoiled rotten... The fall before I got married I begged and begged Mama to buy this Department 56 nativity for me... she said it was crazy to spend that much on a nativity... the way I figure it... I have used it now for 18 years... we got our monies worth! 
 The village in Granny's china cabinet. 
 The Japanese fruitcake...that tastes nothing like a fruitcake... I promise it is the best cake that you will ever put in your mouth... but don't ask for a piece... It is mine and Mama's... we don't like to share... we got that honest from Boo-ma... she didn't share hers either.  Mary is the best cook in the world.... I'm afraid to ask for the recipe because I know it takes her hours to cook it... but I sure do love this cake... Christmas has officially started because the cake is at Mama's.... It won't be long before we have to cut it and freeze it... There is nothing better than a piece of frozen cake.  The first year Boo-Ma died we didn't know what to do with the unfrozen cake because she never let us have a piece of it before it was slapped in the freezer.  The Christmas Mama was pregnant with me she ate half a cake... I think that is why I love it so much! 




Last night we had our Christmas program... I loved it.... It makes my heart jump when I think of my children wearing the same costumes we wore as a child.... they did a great job in telling the true story of Christmas.  

And the boot... this boot and few others were always at Boo-ma's house... they used to sit on the mantle at her house... They wouldn't be special to anyone else, but because I have this one thing of hers... I love them! 
May my treasures be my children's treasures...and may we make memories as a family as wonderful as the memories I have of growing up in this town! 

No comments: