Monday, January 27, 2014

Getting Ready for a Snow Day...or 2 ... or 1/2

It looks like we may get a little snow tomorrow... I can remember when I was little how wonderful it was to wake up and hear Mama say we didn't have to go to school... I think that was once! My senior year we got out of school early for snow, but I wasn't there because I was sick... I don't really remember a lot of snow days....
When Mark and I moved to Greenville, I was ecstatic about the number of snow days we got... I would wake up all night long running to the window to see if we had school... we usually didn't and it was marvelous.... UNTIL.... it iced and we lost power!
I loved watching Little House on the Prairie growing up... it was my favorite show...still is my favorite... along with Designing Women and Andy Griffith and Brady Bunch... and Family Affair.... anyway.... I always thought it would be fun to cook supper by a fire, roast marshmallows, and live like Laura did... it didn't take me but a few hours to realize that was not my cup of tea....
I think it was 2008.... I had gotten the call that we didn't have school and had settled on the couch with my cup of coffee, Ben sleeping in my arms, and KB playing in her playroom... and then I heard an awful crash and everything went black... the power was out! After an hour, I called Mark and he said it would come back on not to worry.... so I waited another hour.... no power... I called him again and told him we were getting cold and we needed to be somewhere with power. I walked outside and heard something running and thought it was the power truck....so I waited until after lunch before I called Mark again.... one of my neighbors had a generator plugged up...not the power truck...so the noise was there for that reason.... neighbors were telling me that I would be without power for at least two days... I packed my stuff and came to Lincolnton!
I say all this to remind KB and Ben that while most people are frantically getting milk and bread ready for the storm about to hit.... Let me tell you what the really important things are that need to be done...

1. Blow the driveway and porches off so your snow pictures will be smooth and pretty.... (I did that this afternoon)

2. Wash, dry, and iron everything in the house in case we lose power.... (working on my last load now)

3. Call Mayonnaise and make sure your generator will crank and is ready to give you power if it goes out!...(after that ice storm in 2008 we bought a generator that lets me heat my house, run the dishwasher, dryer, and dishwasher.... important!)

4. Have two good meals that you can cook and use for leftovers.... (we usually end up at Mama's, but I have that ready too)

5. Put lines on the carpet....(I plan on doing that tomorrow when we get home)

6. Take a hot bath tonight because you don't know if you will get a "hot" one for a few days! (let's hope the generator kicks in if we need it)

7. Find your gloves, coats, scarves, and hats.... (as soon as the snow starts falling you know we will want to be out in it)

8. Get the four-wheelers gassed up....(you know Mayo will be calling first thing)

9. Make sure your sof-blankies are clean.... nothing like wrapping up in them after you have been in the snow all day!

10. Finally, don't waste your time complaining about having to go to school tomorrow... that is the exciting part... you will make many memories from this snow storm.... hopefully, and to those people who are complaining that no call has been made yet... good grief... there isn't any snow yet... these are the same ones who complained a few weeks ago because we had a delay... the best advice is BE PREPARED... you may or may not be in school all day tomorrow (do your homework.... it has to be done at some point)... call me if you need me to come get you... don't miss out on this fun time worrying about if / when school is going to close! I promise it is a WONDERFUL feeling to wake up to that 5 AM call and hear we don't have school...or even to hear over the intercom at school that we are dismissing early....

I'm trying real hard to take my advice on #10.... I sure wish my class would be cancelled tomorrow night... so.... tonight I leave you with a nice little prayer...

Dear God,

We want it to snow... not ice... and we don't need a long break... just maybe half a day... Thanks for Your love for us... Keep us safe.... Amen.....

Our snow days....through the years....

 The gator KB got when Ben was born... we put 1,000 miles on it! 

 Ben was days old when this storm happened....

 And then he was able to play in it!


 Valentine's day storm our first year in LC....


 Butchie likes some snow....







No comments: